Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th June 2022, 20:45

SteveR is on a distinguished road
Sprog Question Regarding German National Archives

I'm familiar with the "types" (for lack of a better word - ORBs and MACRs as but two examples) of documents that have been digitized and can be viewed and downloaded from the TNA, NAA, and NARA websites.

Due to a number of reasons the possibility of me being able to get to any German Archives in person anytime in the foreseeable future is exactly nil. So my question is, what "types" of Luftwaffe documents have been digitized and can be viewed/downloaded from German Archive websites?

Any info (generalized is ok, I don't mind digging around) or pointers greatly appreciated and thank you very much in advance.
Old 30th June 2022, 20:54

Luc Vervoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sprog Question Regarding German National Archives

Hi SteveR,

Please try

https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/

Not a very easy website ... and as far as I know only in German.

Interesting files can be found in RL10/...

If you are interested I can supply you a few examples via WeTransfer (drop me a pm).

Best regards

Luc
Old 30th June 2022, 21:23

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

It's a good question because there is no simple 'go to' listing.

This is a starter for ten.

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/EN/Navig...sed-fonds.html

Please be aware that it hasn't been updated to include any of the holdings which have recently been digitised.

Get yourself registered.

I have found that one of the best ways to start off down this particular rabbit hole is to throw a relatively generic term, i.e. Flugzeug into the search engine and tick the digital files only box 'Nur Treffer mit Digitalisaten anzeigen' and then follow through. I strongly recommend spending some time playing with it to get your head around its very particular hierarchical way of cataloguing and delivering results but there are some good things to be found and downloaded FOC.
Old 30th June 2022, 21:24

Thank you very much, Luc!

Have sent you a PM. I manage to muddle my way through reading German; the more I practice, the easier it becomes!
Old 30th June 2022, 21:26

Thank you very much, Steve!

Down the rabbit hole I go!