Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th November 2020, 23:05

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Awesome D9 Ground Crew

I just found these photos in one of my forgotten photo archives. (I don't know the source.)

How common was this type of ground crew? I assume it started happening quite late, but does anyone know when the program started?

Does anyone have details or more info? Can anyone confirm Luftwaffe women being aircraft crew chiefs and engine mechanics?

Thanks!

Bronc
Old 12th November 2020, 23:55
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Awesome D9 Ground Crew

I thought I saw these recently. They were posted to the falkeeins blog.

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

'new' pictures of a Fw 190 Dora 9 with all female ground crew
Old 13th November 2020, 00:43
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Willi Heilmann (JG54) in his book 'Alert in the West' claims 200 of the ground staff were taken from the Gruppe and replaced with women . It would be assumed this was late in the war . He also claimed two pilots from another fighter wing were killed because the silk canopies had been removed from their parachutes to make underwear by women ground crew , only seen this in his book .
Old 13th November 2020, 01:15

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road

Use "disgruntled" in a sentence: "Shortly after exiting his aircraft the pilot was disgruntled by the mysterious--and highly unwarranted--disappearance of his parachute."

Bronc
Old 13th November 2020, 15:10
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

The book from Heilmann should be taken with some resivations. But indeed a lot of groundcrew were transferred to Heer and Waffen SS (also involuntarily) in the early stages of 1945. Most of them replaced by old men (WW I particpants) and later also females.

Would be nice to know where these D-9 pictures were taken......
Old 13th November 2020, 15:20
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Manrho View Post
a lot of groundcrew were transferred to Heer and Waffen SS
I met a couple of airmen who went to the Fallschirmjäger, presumably because this kept them within the Luftwaffe and Göring's "empire".
Old 13th November 2020, 16:12
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

But as you know, there is also numerous Luftwaffe field divisions,equiped even with "Panzer" , in the later part of last war there is at least 3 different armies in Germany, with quite all the services, the Waffen SS organisation, started even to build up his own "Luftwaffe", nd maybe the best of all , it was that at the very, very end , all these armies are under suprem command of an officier ot the ...Kriegsmarine, for people seen at very "conventional", the jerries are amazing no ??

Rémi
Old 13th November 2020, 16:33
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Nick, you are correct, also with JG 6 several pilots were posted to ground units. Only the experienced/good ones remained. Even some experienced pilots volunteered for ground fighting....!!!
Old 13th November 2020, 17:22
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I can easily see how, when defending your country, volunteers step forward. I have seen a photo of an Me 262 fighter pilot who bailed out so close to home that he is shown with his mother. The SS established their own paratrooper battalion. It is a mystery to me how Grossadmiral Karl Doenitz became head of state.

https://www.amazon.com/SS-Fallschirm.../dp/0764329448
Old 13th November 2020, 19:00

TigerTimon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
It is a mystery to me how Grossadmiral Karl Doenitz became head of state.

Adolf was fond of him. Dönitz wasn't prepared for the nomination though. He had never seen any signs from Hitler which could point in this direction.
He was just extremely loyal to Hitler, unlike Göring and Himmler.

But Göring had failed as head of the Luftwaffe and had escaped to southern Germany following Hitler's last birthday celebration.
Himmler had started secret negotiations, which made Hitler outrageous.

Of the high-ranking military, Dönitz was the only one in whom the dictator still had complete confidence.
(Volker Ullrich)