Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th November 2020, 10:49

Joerg Dietsche
Re: Me 410 B-2/U4 at Autobahn --> where exactly?

30km west of Augsburg at Zusmarshausen was a Me-262 production site located in the forest directly at the Autobahn A8. Codename was Blechschmiede and here wings for Me-262 were produced and transferred to Leipheim on the highway. If I look at the picture the highway is upsloping as it is at Zusmarshausen while Holzkirchen and Leipheim is flat terrain. Please have a look to http://www.horgau.de/fileadmin/Datei...ideHorgau1.pdf
This is a KZ at the production site using the inmates for the slave work. The highway strip at Zusmarshausen was used as runway.
Old 16th November 2020, 12:34
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

Hello Joerg,

Thank you for the link and information. I was aware of the Blechschmiede site but was not looking so far west of Augsburg. I found the following photo of a section that looks very similar to the 1945 photo.

Old 16th November 2020, 21:14

Strahler is on a distinguished road

Yes, i am also nearly sure, the destroyed 262 lies on the Autobahn between Burgau and Augsburg. Of course it is not next to Ulm or Dornstadt. I am living near Ulm and know the area well.
But, please, make no confusion!
Near Burgau, direction Zusmarshausen at the Autobahn was Waldwerk KUNO located. There were about 100 (?) Me 262 completely assembled.
BLECHSCHMIEDE was located some more kilometers eastwards, direction Augsburg. There were only wings for the 262 produced, also next to the Autobahn, near the village Horgau.
Best regards, Gerry.
Old 19th November 2020, 15:26
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

I have done further research and believe that I have identified the exact spot. The leads I had:

1) I have an original, unpublished photo that shows that the Autobahn in the other direction than in the view above was straight with a bridge in the far distance.
2) The Me 262 was found in a shallow uphill turn as can be seen in the photo in post 1.
3) The prominent building in the photo in post 4 is another lead.
4) Two original photos from separate soldiers that I have in my collection have "Augsburg" as a caption. Hence, presumably the location was really close to Augsburg, i.e. within possibly 10 to 15 kilometers.
5) According to British intelligence from April 1945, an Autobahn strip between Augsburg and Lechhausen was used as a landing strip.

Using this information I found an Autobahn section near Lechhausen that fits: Straight on one end towards Augsburg and with a slight uphill turn on the other end. The bend is near the town Stätzling (see google maps link below, just where the icon (blue rectangle with a white 8) for the Autobahn 8 is). And indeed, Stätzling has a church that looks identical to the one in the photo in post no. 4 and also the orientation and location of the bell tower fits to the photo in no. 4.

I could not find a photo taken from the Autobahn at the exact spot to really confirm the location, but I believe I have identified the right spot.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St....9781754?hl=de

Old 19th November 2020, 15:51

Matolion is on a distinguished road

I told you it is a church Diamonds (and church) Are Forever

P.S. "Sedí ako riť na šerbel"

Last edited by Matolion; 19th November 2020 at 20:59.
Old 19th November 2020, 23:01

Strahler is on a distinguished road

Yes,
that is it!!!