Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th January 2016, 17:39

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough
Re: "Beverley Anne" or "Beverly Ann"?

Hi Richard,

I answered your question in my first paragraph: I compared photos of it taken immediately after its surrender when still in German markings against those taken after its arrival in the USA (January 1946 under USN charge I believe). In the latter, traces of the German markings and camouflage pattern are visible bleeding through the US paint and precisely match those in the former. There is no US documentation of its werknummer as it was overpainted, and would have been removed when it was stripped during its 'restoration' in the mid-1950s.

Jim, I am in no doubt that the fellow next to Watson is Haeffner. I do have access to Haeffner's Luftwaffe documents and will look to confirm his rank. It is quite possible I have made an error here.

Stig, beats me why no one bothered to dig into this. I'd like to think it was the passage of time and later ability to access data and documents, and especially fellow enthusiasts that made it possible and greatly assisted by the internet. I also believe that Phil Butler's outstanding research and book profoundly advanced our ability to identify many aircraft over the subsequent years. Indeed, his is the most-thumbed and consulted book in my library.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by David E. Brown; 7th January 2016 at 16:33. Reason: Grammar
Old 5th January 2016, 18:44

nuvola10 is on a distinguished road

IH,mr.Brown
do you have data of heinrich haeffner,when and where is born?
thank's,max
Old 5th January 2016, 19:38

Max,

When I get home this evening I'll go through my files and see what I have.

Cheers,

David
Old 5th January 2016, 23:05

oook,many thank's.max
Old 6th January 2016, 04:59

Hi Max,

Heinrich Alfred HAEFFNER, born 18 November 1921 in Freiburg im Breisgau.

Regarding his rank, in his diary he refers to himself as an Oberleutnant (entry of 6 May, 1945). At the end of the diary, he lists of all the KG 51 pilots along with their unit, awards and general comments (fates, promotions, etc.). Of himself he wrote "Lt. Haeffner" of "2." Staffel with the 2. and 1. classes of the Iron Cross ("Ordnung 2.1.") and, "B Oberleutnant". The 'B' is indicated as standing for "Beförderung" (promotion), so it appears that he ended up an Oberleutnant and was likely made so during the last weeks of the war. His Wehrpass is cryptic here and I think there is a note indicating that he was promoted on 8 May 1945 (not an uncommon event on that day).

Cheers,

David
Old 6th January 2016, 08:52

Wow,precious!many thank's,i hope you have a good day;Max
Old 6th January 2016, 12:45

Karoband will become famous soon enoughKaroband will become famous soon enough

Hi David,

Congratulations. You've proven that the officer with Watson is indeed Oberleutnant Haeffner and not Hauptmann Hermann Kersting as captioned on p.211 in American Raiders.

Thank you
Old 6th January 2016, 16:14

Hi Jim,

Thanks. Long ago when researching Yellow 5 I got a large, crisp example of the Watson photo. About five years ago I studied the Luftwaffe officer's badges and determined he was an Oblt. and not a Hptm. Looking at other similar photos it dawned on met that they were all taken the same day (May 9th) when Col. Watson visited M-R. I thought perhaps that maybe the officer was the pilot of Yellow 5. A quick look through my books for photos of Haeffner and comparison to the officer with Col. Watson revealed a perfect match.

On his Oblt. rank, I looked through Robert Forsyth's book on Me 262 Bomber and Recon Units (Osprey) and he starts off identifying him as a Lt. and then later as an Oblt. Perhaps Doug or Larry has the precise information in their Luftwaffe Offizer compilation when this promotion occurred.

Cheers,

David
Old 6th January 2016, 18:48

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear David,

From where did you get the date for Watson's visit to Munich-Riem?

Regards,
Richard
Old 7th January 2016, 04:45

Hi Richard,

I base the May 9th estimate on photos, and, the recollections of Hptm. Heinz Braun (KG 200) as presented in Norm Malayney’s JAAHS article (p.23).

On May 8th Braun flew the Ju 290 A-4 “A3+HB” WNr.110165 from Koniggraz to München-Riem loaded with women, children and wounded. He stated that “…on the following day, I believe, I met with Col. Watson. On 10 May, I flew with Watson as co-pilot in the Ju 290 from Munich to Roth near Nuremburg…” The "following day" would have been May 9th.

As well, there are a number of published photos of Col. Watson inspecting various aircraft types at M-R (Me 262 (Yellow 5), Do 335 (102), He 111, Ju 290 (A3+HB), etc.) that appear to have come from his collection and taken on the same time (mid-day in bright sunshine). As well, he had his photo taken with Haeffner around Yellow 5 that was still in its German markings and out in the middle of the airfield at mid-day. The well known series of aerial photos was taken on May 15th (six days later) and Yellow 5 is now seen in a combination of US and German markings.

I should think that Col. Watson would have wanted to get to M-R ASAP as there were now several flyable aircraft here (especially Me 262s), so think May 9th is the most likely date of his visit. Anyway, that’s my best guess given the available information.

Cheers,

David

Reference:

Malayney, N., 1995.
ATI and Operation Lusty – Part 1
Journal, American Aviation Historical Society, Spring, 1995, p.16-25.

Last edited by David E. Brown; 8th January 2016 at 15:42. Reason: Grammar and clarifications