Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th January 2006, 11:40

Radish is on a distinguished road
Smile Jg52 personnel query...help!

Hi,

I'm trying to track down any details about a Jg52 pilot called Rudi Dschietzig. I know he learned to fly gliders with the Hitler Youth, and that he quickly transitioned to powered aircraft. He was assigned to Jg52, but after a brief career that included 3 kills during the Battle of Britain (??)...which also corresponded with three times loosing his aircraft through being shot down(!), once at least this ending in a soaking in the English Channel, he was transferred from fighters to either a bomber and/or transport unit.
Later captured, he was a POW in Britain and after the war settled in Staffordshire. I lovely man who worked hard, and despite illness, supported local school children with his terrific wood-craft skills, he sadly died last year before I could ellicit details of his aircraft or time with Jg52.
As part of a project, I'd like to build a model of this gentleman's aircraft.
Any suggestions?
Any help?
Thank you,

Terry Campion
Old 5th January 2006, 16:16
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Jg52 personnel query...help!

Did the man by chance change his name after the war? I ask because there is no such person mentioned in the JG 52 claims thru the end of 1940.
Old 5th January 2006, 16:35

Radish is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Jg52 personnel query...help!

I suppose it's possible, but as he remained in England after the war, his name's hardly that easily spelt and I'd have thought he'd have anglicised it. Just read that elements of JG52 were on the North Sea coast for quite a time after the end of 1940, so it might be possible he flew with them. I'm talking to a headteacher who knew him (he helped in her school) next weekand I'll see what else I can glean.
Thanks,

Terry