Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th November 2008, 08:32

Bernard is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe losses, Rhubarb operation 07/11/1941.

Good morning to all,

On the 7th of November 1941, Sgt C.P King, No.263 Squadron claimed a
ME 109E on a rhubarb operation.

AIR/50/103.p 21.
Date: November 7th, 1941.
Flight, Squadron: Flight Red 3 & Red 1. Sqdn 263.
Number of enemy aircraft: 2.2.
Type of enemy aircraft: ME 109E.
Time attack was delivered: 14.20 14.25 hours.
Place attack was delivered: 3 miles west of Cap de la Hague.
Height of enemy: 3000.
Enemy casualties: 1 ME 109E claimed destroyed.
Our casualties: nil.

GENERAL REPORT ( r ).RHUBARB RECONNAISSANCE OFFENSIVE OPERATION. NOV.7TH. 1941.

I was Red 3 of five Whirlwinds of 263 Squadron ordered to reconnoitre distillary targets in or near the Cherbourg Peninsula, and to attack any other targets seen. I took off from Warmwell at 13.30 hours to reconnoitre target 205 at Hy…ville. I followed Red 1 ( P/O Warren ? ) at zero feet to a point three miles west of Cricqueville ? Where I left him to search for my particular target. I turned ? And flew up the river from …..Ville ? To Hy…ville?, where I recognised the target, and acting on instructions did not fire at it. I turned north to attack goods engines on the railway line, but at thismoment I saw two ME 109s on my starboard beam. One E/A dived to attack me and fired at extreme range. I turned at zero feet to ???; and climbed towards to cloud cover, eventually reaching 5000 feet. My Whirlwind outclimbed the ME 109s. I then flew northwards on a zig-zagcourse for about ten minutes. Cloud cover now diminshed at about 14.20 hours I could see that myposition was about three miles west of Cap de la Hague. At this moment I gaian saw two ME 109son my starboard beam about 300 feet above me. I was now flying at 3000 feet. Both the E/A turnedto port diving to beam attack on the starboard side. I dived slightly and turned to starboard keepingunderneath the E/A. then as one of the E/A turned to starboard again I was able to pull up and firea 1 1/2 second burst at him from 150 to 200 yards, using all deflection. There was an explosion like a ball of flames at the back of the cockpit of the E/A, wich immediately went into a very steepdive with black smoke and flames pouring from it. I claim this E/A as destroyed. The other E/A then broke off combat, flying towards Cap de la Hague. I then flew back to Warmwell at 3000 feetand landed at 14.45hours. My aircraft was undamaged.Confirmation of the destruction of this ME 109 was indicated by a conical tower of smoke seen three miles west of Cap de la Hague by Red 1 ( P/O Warnes ? ), who returned from a target furthersouth but on exactly the same course about five minutes later, that is at about 14.25 hours. P/OWarnes went to investigate the smoke, but found no shipping, and at once formed the opinion thatan aircraft had gone in here.

Enemy casualty. 1 ME 109E claimed destroyed.
Our casualties: Nil. C.P King Sgt Pilot.

What about this one ?

Many thanks.

Bernard.

Last edited by Bernard; 20th November 2008 at 08:35. Reason: correction
Old 20th November 2008, 18:40
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luftwaffe losses, Rhubarb operation 07/11/1941.

A Bf 109 E-7, Wk Nr 5984 of 1/JG 2 was reported shot down in combat PlQ 15W/2031; pilot baled out unwounded
Old 21st November 2008, 07:09

pfP7063 is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe losses, Rhubarb operation 07/11/1941.

Hi Bernard

From 263's ORB I hope this helps.

No.263 SQUADRON - NOVEMBER 1941

CHARMY DOWN

7th.
On 7 November, the Squadron was occupied in a reconnaissance of Distillery targets in or near the Cherbourg Peninsula. This Operation was notable for the destruction by Sgt King of an Me.109E, one of 4 which attacked him, and for the successful evasive tactics of P/O, (now F/L) Warnes who was also attacked by a pair of Me.109's. Also for the haste in which the Operation was prepared.

7th.
P7110 P/O G.B. Warnes Rhubarb 1330 - 1450
P7084 Sgt H.J. Blackshaw Rhubarb 1330 - 1500
P7112 Sgt C.P. King Rhubarb 1330 - 1445
P7003 F/S R.A. Brackley Rhubarb 1330 - 1350
P7006 Sgt J.H. Walker Rhubarb 1330 - 1445

5 Whirlwinds of 263 Squadron (P/O Warnes, Red 1, Sgt Blackshaw, Red 2, Sgt King, Red 3, F/S Brackley, Yellow 1, Sgt Walker, Yellow 2) took off from Warmwell at 1330 to reconnoitre Distillery targets in or near the Cherbourg Peninsula, and to attack any other targets seen. Yellow 1 and 2 were ordered to reconnoitre Target 216 Courseulles. After flying for 10 miles, Yellow 1 noticed that his starboard engine oil temperature was at 110 degrees, and returned to Warmwell, landing at 1350. Yellow 2 flew on at 0'. After sighting the point of Barfleur, he turned south-east as far as 2 tidal rocks north of St.Come, and made landfall near Ouistreham. He turned west along the railway which seemed further inland than it is marked on France 250,000 Sheet 8. Courseulles was observed to have a very small station with a passenger train in it. He circled looking for the Distillery but could not find it, then followed the railway to Ryes, and to Bayeux and turned north leaving the French Coast at 1415. He landed at Warmwell at 1445 with 11 and 22 gallons of petrol for port and starboard engines respectively. No targets, no flak, no enemy aircraft seen, guns not fired.

Red 1 was ordered to reconnoitre Target 207 Bréhal. He flew at 0' leading Red 2 and 3 and passing 3 miles west of Cap de la Hague at 1350, and continuing at 0' to a point 3 miles west of Grimouville where Red 3 turned towards his own target. Red 1 and 2 continued to a point 3 miles west of Douville, here Red 2 turned north east to his own target. Red 1 flew to Bréhal. The town was easily identified by its 5 roads, but the target could not be seen. Then he flew along the road to Coutances and at Hyenville he saw a tall wooden building with flanking warehouses, by a railway yard, which he circled. Subsequently, it has been decided that this was the target correctly identified by Red 3. Red 1 then fired at and hit a camouflaged military post near St.Malo de la Lande, but could not see results. Then he reconnoitred the western coast of the Cherbourg Peninsula, but saw only wireless stations. After setting course for Warmwell at 0' south of Cap de la Hague, a conical cloud of black smoke was seen on the water about 3 miles west of the Cape. He went to look at it, expecting to see a ship, but there was nothing except the smoke. He immediately formed the opinion that an aircraft had just gone in there; immediately after this, he saw 2 Me.109E's about 1000' above at 4 o'clock. He was flying at +6 boost 2750 revs and held a straight course until 1 Me. dived to attack. He waited until the enemy aircraft was in range and then turned violently to port at sea level. All the enemy aircraft's fire was observed to go into the sea on his right. Then the other enemy aircraft attacked, and both aircraft repeated the attacks. However, Red 1 shook them off and landed at Warmwell at 1450 with 3 machine gun bullet holes in his tail. Red 1 noticed civilians waving to him at several points while flying low over Normandy. There were 15 and 23 gallons left for port and starboard engines respectively.

After Red 2 had turned north towards his target, No.206 at Cerences, he flew at 100' along the main road between Gronville and Bréhal, turning east at Brehal along the road and railway towards Cerences. But the target was not identified. He then flew south as far as Avranches looking for targets but he saw none; he then swept back over the same area, again unsuccessfully. He turned west out to sea near Mont Martin, and landed at Warmwell at 1500. No flak, no fighters and no guns fired. There were 22 gallons of petrol left for each engine. This is remarkable as this aircraft had been airborne for 90 minutes.

After Red 3 had turned east towards his target, he followed the river from Heugueville to Target 305 at Hyenville. He observed 2 Goods Trains on the main lines at Orval and located the target west of and fronting the main line very close to the little village of Hyenville. Then he flew at 0' to attack the Goods Trains, but at that instant he observed 2 Me.109E's on his starboard beam at the same height; he flew north west, jinking, and climbed for cloud cover, out-climbing the enemy aircraft. After flying in cloud at 5000' for 10 minutes, cloud cover diminished and about 3 miles west of Cap de la Hague he saw 2 Me.109E's on his starboard beam and about 500' above him. He was now at 3000'; both enemy aircraft turned in for a starboard beam attack, Red 3 turned to starboard beneath them, pulled up and fired a burst at 150 - 200 yards at one of the enemy aircraft as it turned to starboard again. He expended 14 rounds from each cannon. There was an explosion like a ball of fire at the back of the cockpit of the enemy aircraft, and it went into a very steep dive toward the sea, with flames and thick black smoke pouring from it; further results were not observed, but this aircraft is claimed as destroyed and confirmation is indicated by the cloud of smoke already described as seen by Red 1 in the same area about 4 minutes later. The other enemy aircraft turned away towards Cap de la Hague, breaking off the combat. Red 3 continued at 3000' and landed at Warmwell at 1445. There were 16 and 22 gallons left in port and starboard engines respectively.

Weather over the south of the Cherbourg Peninsula, cloud 6/10 at 3000', diminishing to 3/10 at 3000' off Cap de la Hague, visibility good.

Our casualties - Nil
Enemy casualties - 1 Me.109E destroyed by Sgt King, Red 3

Kind regards

Paul