Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th June 2019, 02:42

dtaylorxx is on a distinguished road
Fw Rudolf Phillipp 6./JG27 vs 'Bud' Anderson 27 May 1944

Gentlemen and Ladies - I was wondering if anyone else has come to the same conclusion that Fw. Rudolf Phillip (6./JG27) was the likely opponent of C.E. 'Bud' Anderson 357FG in the well-known 27 May 1944 fight near Strasbourg? From studying the available data and based on Anderson's description in interviews and his combat report, it appears to me that the three losses suffered by 6th Staffel, JG27 on this day; Fw Rudi Phillip, Lt. Fritz-Joachim von Buddenbrock and Uffz. Waldemar Kronenberger (who all fell either on the outskirts or not far SW of Strasbourg) seem to match the claims made by Anderson (2 x 109) and Eddie Simpson (1 x 109). Rudolf Phillip was a solid pilot with 9 victories, recently promoted from Uffz. I would imagine with his experience (his victories included 4 heavy bombers, P-47's and P-51s) he was likely leading a Schwarm at the time he was killed. Such a pilot could have easily given Anderson a run for his money. As II/JG27 was based at Unterschlauersbach at the time, they were well placed to be engaged over the Vosges/Strasbourg area where this famous fight was undertaken. My research also finds at least three claims by 6th Staffel and 4th Staffel pilots over the Vosges that morning, supporting the notion that II Gruppe were in the same area engaging the US bombers on their way in.

I would love to know if I'm on the right track in looking to solve this or if someone has already debunked this hypothesis and found the German pilot involved (I have a lot more research data including the VDK entries for all the lost 6th Staffel pilots, claim data etc should anyone be interested but I did not wish to make the post too long). Best Wishes!

Last edited by dtaylorxx; 8th June 2019 at 19:24. Reason: Punctuation
Old 8th June 2019, 14:29

Re: Fw. Rudolf Phillip 6./JG27 vs 'Bud' Anderson?

More details for anyone interested - The actual gun camera video of this combat is available on YouTube to view of Bud Anderson's famous dogfight on 27 May 1944. Most aviation enthusiasts have seen at least one of the TV interviews in which Anderson describes it (Dogfights - History Channel). That day three Messerschmitt 109’s were shot down by Anderson’s flight, two by Anderson himself. The second German pilot, the leader of the Schwarm, gave Anderson the fright of his life and I think he deserves to be remembered. Fw. Rudolf Phillipp (also in some records as Phillip) appears in many ways to fit the bill.

I did some research into this particular fight when I was a student at Salisbury University and found proof that German fighters from II./JG 27 were fighting near Strasbourg that morning, 27 May 1944. Several claims were made by members of the 6th and 4th Staffeln just SW of Strasbourg, and the only three recorded losses of the II. Gruppe were located in the same area (Ring/Girbig - JG27). I found that both 6./JG 27 and 4./JG 27 were attacking B-17s over the Vosges area around noon that day - this is just SW of Strasbourg where Anderson's 109's reportedly went down. These claims were made by Gefr. Hans-Dieter Jungbecker of 4th Staffel (B-17) over Obernai, Fhr. Kurt Rüdiger of 6th Staffel (P-51) over St Die, and Ltn. Gerhard Wunicke of 4th Staffel (P-51) over Colmar. These locations in France are in an almost diagonal line from the SW up towards Strasbourg. Continuing along that line leads roughly to the II/JG27 homebase at the time, at Unterschlauersbach. Unterschlauersbach is 60 miles or so to the north east of where the combat took place. The claims definitely put the 6th Staffel in that area on the morning in question (27 May 1944) and the 6th was the only Staffel that took casualties matching the three in total as described by Anderson.

Killed in air combat that day were three members of the 6th Staffel:

Probably the Schwarmfuehrer, Fw. Rudolf Philipp, 6./JG 27, KIA 27 May 1944. b - 10.04.1920 Traismauer, d - 27.05.1944 “Lavolline” (most likely this crash site refers to Laveline-devant-Bruyères about 20 miles SW of Strasbourg). It puts Fw. Rudolf Phillipp's crash site in the right area - the extended combat was reported to have occurred "N & W of Strasbourg" according to Anderson's combat report. Fw Phillip is buried at Niederbronn-les-Bains, France. Endgrablage: Block 20 Reihe 16 Grab 434. Rudolf Phillipp had nine victories officially, including 4 heavy bombers and several single-engine fighters of both P-47 and P-51 type. He was a dogfighter. Earlier in his career with II/JG27 he was a member of the 5th Staffel. He was promoted from Unteroffizier to Feldwebel and moved to the Stab Schwarm under Hauptman Friedrich Keller. Phillipp was likely made a Schwarmfuhrer when transfered to the 6th Staffel due to his experience and success and was likely leading it on that fateful day of the dogfight with Anderson (and his wingman Skara). The way the fight developed points to Phillipp as being the German formation leader and the competent dogfighter who took on Anderson and so dangerously got behind both Mustangs during the fight.

Phillipp's combat victories included a P-40 of either RAF No. 250 or 260 Sq. north of Abu-Dweis on 31 October, 1942. His 2nd victory was a B-24 40 km west of Kefallinia, during the Ploesti raid, on 1 August, 1943. His 4th and 5th, both P-47s; one S of Zivagosta, the other S of Drvenik on 12 January, 1944. His 6th, a B-17 NE of Braunschweig on 29 April, 1944. His 7th, a B-17 (HSS) 75 km NW of Trier on 11 May, 1944. His 8th, a B-17 at the Merzhauzen airfield on 12 May, 1944. His 9th, a P-51 south of Berlin on 24 May, 1944 (Perry Claims). His postings during his career with JG 27; 7/JG 27 (10/42), 12/JG 27 (8/43), 5/JG 27 (4/44), Stab II/JG 27 and 6/JG 27 (5/44) until his death in combat. There is one photograph of Rudolf Phillipp in John Weal's "Jagdgeschwader 27 'Afrika'" (Osprey Publishing) book on the unit, on p.97. He is pictured at Kalamaki airbase alongside Major Gustav Roedel, Oblt Ernst-Georg Altnorthoff, Oblt Alfred Burk (StaKa 11./JG 27) and Fw. Ernst Hackl, taken while Phillipp was a member of 12./JG 27 and shortly after his B-24 victory west of Kefallinia during the Ploesti raid, on 1 August, 1943.

The ranking member of the Schwarm, but probably not leading it that day, was Lt. Fritz-Joachim v. Buddenbrock, 6./JG 27, KIA 27 May 1944. b - 30.04.1923 Düsseldorf, d - 27.05.1944 Erstein (south of Strasbourg). Buried at Potsdam, neuer Friedhof. Endgrablage: Einzelgrab. Von Buddenbrock was reported to have been shot down in combat with P-51’s, making a successful emergency landing a mile south of Strasbourg at Erstein. He was then strafed while exiting the aircraft and killed. Notably, Erstein is within about 15 miles of both Phillpp's and Kronenberger's crash sites to the SW. Like Phillipp, von Buddenbrock was also a successful fighter pilot and had several victories; his 1st was a B-24 on the north shore of the Zuider Zee on 11 January, 1944. His 2nd was a P-38 in the Braunschwieg area on 3 March, 1944. His 3rd, a B-17 20 km SW of Magdeburg on 8 March, 1944. His 4th, a B-17 on 11 May, 1944, no known location. While with JG 27 he was a member of Stab II/JG 27 (1/44) and 6/JG 27 (5/44). Both von Buddenbrock and Phillipp were transferred to 6th Staffel from the Stab II flight the same month (May 1944).

The third pilot killed from the 6th Staffel was Uffz. Waldemar Kronenberger: 6./JG 27, KIA 27 May 1944. b - 12.04.1922 Wolfheide, d - 27.05.1944 Gerardmer (south-west of Strasbourg and only about 5 miles from the crashsite of Fw. Phillipp) Buried in Niederbronn-les-Bains. Endgrablage: Block 20 Reihe 16 Grab 432. The Gerardmer crash location puts Uffz. Kronenberger in the area of the same fight (and if I am correct in my speculations he would have been the wingman of either Von Buddenbrock or Rudi Phillipp). I believe Kronenberger, a pilot with no recorded victories, was the first of Anderson's victims during the fight. Anderson describes him attacking the first 109 in level flight as the Germans were attempting to outrun Anderson and John Skara's (Anderson's wingman in the fight) Mustangs. If Kronenberger was the pilot in question he was likely killed or severely wounded in his a/c - after two bursts, turning onto its back and diving away to crash SW of Salsbourg at Gerardmer.

The fourth member of the Schwarm was an as yet unknown Katchmarek of 6./JG 27 who escaped.

My research into other potential Luftwaffe units that could have possibly been involved leads me to believe that II./JG27 is the most likely unit that Anderson faced in the air that day (of course my 'conclusions' are to be considered speculation only - I post this hypothesis in the hope that others with access to more info might help shed more light on this now famous air battle).

Here's what I think took place. The Schwarm of four Me109's met by Anderson that day was likely that led by Fw. Rudolf Phillipp, the nine victory ace. The next best pilot of the four was probably Lt. Fritz-Joachim von Buddenbrock who had at least 3 official victories to his credit. From my research I concluded that Von Buddenbrock was probably the 109 that Anderson says climbed away at the start of the fight – probably a tactic designed to split the American four-ship flight, i.e. to draw off Eddie Simpson and his wingman, which it did. Von Buddenbrock was chased and attacked several times by Simpson (according to his combat report) as he dived "to the deck", the 109G seen to be hit on several passes, but the German managed to make a successful forced landing at Erstein – just 4 miles south of Strasbourg. Official German data on his death mentions combat with P-51's, a successful belly landing - then being strafed to death on the ground. The latter detail is not supported in Simpson's combat report for that day (he promptly ends his report saying the pilot bailed out), but sometimes such hard realities were omitted from combat reports.

Meanwhile back at high altitude, the three remaining 109's of Phillipp’s Schwarm remained at full power in level flight in front of Anderson and Skara, chasing. As the most experienced pilot Fw. Phillipp continued to lead the formation but he was now left with two less experienced wingmen behind him; Uffz. Waldemar Kronenberger and another as yet unknown 6th Staffel pilot. Kronenberger's 109 was likely the one that Bud Anderson hit at this moment, while in level pursuit. It then flipped over, was hit again, and then fell away to crash. Seeing few options remaining, Phillipp would have likely ordered the remaining, less experienced wingman to attempt to flee while Phillipp stayed to fight it out - confident he could entangle Anderson and Skara as his remaining comrade escaped. I think this is exactly what happened in this case. Anderson would have been foolish to dive away onto the fleeing 109 leaving his tail exposed, nor would he have wanted to split his own fighting pair, so he did the right thing and remained in pursuit of the leader. Anderson’s own wingman John Skara of course remained with Anderson to cover his tail. The rest of the fight is history, and it was a nailbiter. If you have not heard Anderson discuss that battle in his many interviews, it is available on Youtube. Whoever that Luftwaffe pilot was, Rudi Phillipp or not, his courage is worthy of remembrance.

My candidate, Jagdflieger Feldwebel Rudolf Phillipp was a dogfighter. He had been in combat since at least October of 1942. His 'official' score of 9 included 4 heavy bombers, a P-40 in Africa, at least two P-47s and at least one P-51, so he was not a fighter pilot to be taken lightly. He had experienced shooting down Allied fighters and therefore had the confidence to try and fight it out with Anderson. Again I stress this hypothesis must be considered speculation based on my own research. Yet it does have a few dots that seem to connect. If anyone has more info on the events this day I would love to find out more about it.

To sum up - based on what I can find in the current data - I think there is a very strong chance that the pilot involved in the dogfight Colonel Anderson remembers so vividly that day (27 May 1944) was probably Fw. Rudolf Phillipp, the 9 victory ace of 6th Staffel of JG 27. If there's more research out there on this dogfight, or the Luftwaffe pilots involved to be shared, please add it!

I have used the actual wartime combat reports from the American pilots involved (www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org), Don Caldwell's books including "Day Fighters in Defense of the Reich" for the info/stats on the German units involved, plus Ring and Girbig's "JG 27", Anderson's book "To Fly and Fight" as well as LW aircrew loss lists and claim lists for JG 27 that are available to all online. In order to discount other LW units I have also consulted Prein's JG 53 volumes and others in my (ever expanding!) LW library. Thanks for reading and I would love to hear any more relevant input, either in support or to debunk. Best wishes to all.

Last edited by dtaylorxx; 8th June 2019 at 17:35. Reason: Spelling
Old 10th June 2019, 04:03

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Re: Fw Rudolf Phillipp 6./JG27 vs 'Bud' Anderson 27 May 1944

Awesome research and great post!

Please post a link to the Anderson gun camera film, or which episode of Dogfights was it?

Bronc
Old 12th June 2019, 04:41

Re: Fw. Rudolf Phillip 6./JG27 vs 'Bud' Anderson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylorxx View Post
[...] He is pictured at Kalamaki airbase alongside Major Gustav Roedel, Oblt Ernst-Georg Altnorthoff, Oblt Alfred Burk (StaKa 11./JG 27) and Fw. Ernst Hackl, taken while Phillipp was a member of 12./JG 27 and shortly after his B-24 victory west of Kefallinia during the Ploesti raid, on 1 August, 1943. [...]
Just a brief sidetrack from this fantastic post. Does anyone know if Fw. Ernst Hackl was related to Anton Hackl?
Old 31st July 2023, 19:23

SCohen is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bring this up again for my own purposes, but I saw Phillipp with 12/27 claimed a p-38 near Tirana on 20 December 1944

Source: FilmC 2031/11 Anerk nr. 1.

But I see this isn’t included in the list above. Is there any info on this claim?
Old 20th November 2023, 20:55

Good to see some more folks putting their heads together on this now famous air combat dogfight. Thanks to Flight88 for ongoing research! This extraordinary air battle continues to be a focus for new TV and online documentaries on the wartime P-51, and the aces who so successfully flew and fought with that aircraft during WW2.

While I do not have any new evidence today (11/20/2024), I would like to add something that might enlighten those that hear/read Bud Anderson's narrative description of the dogfight, especially regarding the first of the 109's that was shot down during Anderson's pursuit of the remaining three Messerschmitts.

Anderson stated that after he attacked the number 3 man in the flight - striking it with a burst - he could not understand why this 109 pilot deliberately ('inexplicably') turned his a/c upside down, then held it in an inverted attitude for a few seconds. This did not appear to Anderson to be an uncontrolled or 'dead stick' action, in his long experience with fighter combat maneuvering. Bemused, Anderson pressed the gun button again and the second volley struck the still inverted a/c - which then fell out of the fight.

After extensive reading of German fighter pilots' memoirs I have found that there were two schools of thought among LW pilots on the quickest and safest method of bailing out of a fast moving, 'straight and level' flying 109, so as not to fatally strike the vertical tail fin while doing so. The first was to chop the throttle (reducing speed was of paramount importance), jettison the canopy/hit the emergency harness release buckle (a large buckle on the pilot's chest released the straps that held the pilot to the seat almost instantaneously), then push the nose forward into a sharp neg g dive (also known as a bunt). As the nose drops, the pilot is suddenly propelled up and out - like Superman - away from the tail fin (the danger area dropping away beneath the pilot's body as the a/c dives). Conversations with fellow 109 pilots - attributed to Joachim Marseilles - discussed the demonstrable benefits of this method. The second method was to chop the throttle (again, speed reduction helped), turn the seat harness release buckle and then hit the canopy jettison lever (charges would fire to release the bolts holding the frame, and the canopy would lift up and away). Thusly prepared for emergency evacuation, the pilot would finally roll the a/c onto its back - with the canopy already gone or dropping away after inverting, the pilot's body would then fall head first towards the earth, clear of the cockpit and (hopefully) the tail fin, thanks to gravity. NOTE: It was widely accepted that at very high speeds the break away section of cockpit frame could be inadvertently held in place by higher air speed, even if the jettison lever worked as advertised.

We will never know what happened inside the cockpit of this 109 at the exact moment the pilot inverted the machine. That there was panic and possibly injury that dictated the pilot's actions is likely - the 109 was reportedly damaged after being hit by Anderson's first volley. However it is certainly possible that the pilot's outwardly strange maneuver was simply a rushed attempt to bail out of the aircraft (using method 2). The pilot hit the canopy release as he rolled over - the charges went off, but the strength of the slipstream and/or frame damage held the the canopy in place. Certainly these three particular 109's were going 'flat out' maximum speed at the time, trying to outrun Anderson's Mustangs. The high speed involved may have simply locked the 'jettisoned' canopy in place leaving the pilot trapped inside the cockpit, upside down, for a few panicked seconds pounding in frustration on the canopy roof.

Conjecture, yes - but I wanted to offer to researchers that a possible reason exists for the German pilot's deliberate inverting of his damaged 109 while continuing to fly straight ahead. To the attacking pilot, this action may have appeared inexplicable and of no possible defensive worth. Certainly Anderson still dismisses it as a confusing, futile gesture.

More research is needed that might assist my claim that Fw. Rudolph Phillip was the most likely German pilot to have been dogfighting Bud Anderson on that fateful day 27 May 1944. Please update me here if any more information has come to light! Cheers, Dan Taylor
Old 10th June 2019, 05:13

Thanks very much. I am hoping that someone has also done some research into it and maybe came to different conclusions. I have the Dogfights DVD's and this engagement is described on Season One, disc one. You can also see Colonel Anderson's description of the fight here on Youtube (forward to 45m:18s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9sQg3XkGLg The fact that Anderson repeats the recollection of this action so often in his interviews is testimony to how greatly it impressed him.

Here is the actual 27 May 1944 gun camera footage of the fight on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WVxB5MBdYE Obviously the camera only operates when the guns are fired so it is very short, whereas the battle itself was quite extended in duration and the advantage changed hands several times.

Cheers!

Last edited by dtaylorxx; 10th June 2019 at 05:44.
Old 10th June 2019, 18:33

My impression of the first engagement on the gun camera film: the pilot was new or not very good--straight and level until the end.

My impression of the second engagement on the gun camera film: the pilot was very good, but greatly hampered by the poor rearward visibility of the Me 109. At the very, very end, he inadvertently pulled the aircraft into the line of fire (to see over his right shoulder) and it literally got him killed.

Also, Bud Anderson was very good: short bursts, longish range, very patient.

Bronc
Old 11th June 2019, 21:33
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

DTAYLOR,

Fantastic thread and work. Keep going!

A.
Old 23rd August 2019, 22:22

flight88 is on a distinguished road
Rudolff Philipp fell in Lavelline in front of Bruyeres, today there is a multipurpose room built there

Waldemar Kronenberger fell to Balveurche's thatch, his parachute hanging from the tail of the plane as it fell.

We are working on this battle of May 27th 1944... About a dozen of them have fallen in the Vosges, we have the sites except one that has not yet been found