Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 12th June 2019, 17:29
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Prelude to Stalingrad [off topic]

The Red Army's Attempt to Derail the German Drive to the Caucasus in World War II

Scheduled for September.

https://rowman.com/ISBN/978081173866...n-World-War-II

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 12th June 2019, 17:49
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Prelude to Stalingrad [off topic]

I wonder if this is a paperback reprint of this: https://www.helion.co.uk/confronting...july-1942.html
Old 13th June 2019, 15:37

mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
I wonder if this is a paperback reprint of this: https://www.helion.co.uk/confronting...july-1942.html
Yeah, I wonder the same too, if this is the case, it is NOT cool to change the title of the book and get it published from another publish company
Old 13th June 2019, 15:43
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Stackpole's edition is in paperback and is thus cheaper, especially in the U. S. where original Helion editions are quite expensive.
Old 13th June 2019, 15:48

mars

Quote:
Stackpole's edition is in paperback and is thus cheaper, especially in the U. S. where original Helion editions are quite expensive.
This is not the point, by changing the title of the same book (if this is the case) would give readers a false impression that these are two different books, this is not professional, and they should not do that
Old 13th June 2019, 18:18

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

It is the same book (a reprint of the Helion title). Other publishers who do reprints are also guilty of this. Pen & Sword has reprinted a number of books with altered titles and caught me out once. I now am extra careful with new books of theirs from established authors on similar subjects.
Old 5th September 2019, 19:15
Alter Hase

It's available now.

https://rowman.com/ISBN/978081173866...-World-War-II#

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 5th September 2019, 20:38
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
By now you have your answer. I hope edwest2 might look into this and see what the rules/laws of the publishing world has to say about the legality of it.

The book should prove useful and interesting for its coverage of the May - August 1942 fighting from Kharkov east and south to the Sea of Azov. Earlier this summer, I spent 170 to 200 hours researching this area and time frame using the KTB und Anlagen of Gen.Kdo. I. Flakkorps from the TsAMO online collection and found the events fast-moving, massive in scope and, accordingly, rather confusing. This title should help unscramble these chaotic events along the line of advance from the Donets Basin toward Stalingrad and into North Caucasia.

L.
Old 5th September 2019, 21:06
Alter Hase

Larry,

While not illegal as far as publishing is concerned, there may be a case for false or misleading advertising. I am not an attorney and my advice is unofficial. That said, I think contacting the publisher and politely advising them against what others have said is true - rereleasing a book that was already in print without identifying it as such.

Regards,
Ed
Old 5th September 2019, 23:18
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

I was looking at this book this morning on Amazon before seeing this thread. It was listed there in hardcover, paperback and ebook. I like to read Military books with personal experiences from both sides at the ground level to keep the from being bored silly with command strategy only.