Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th February 2009, 05:03

Perseus71 is on a distinguished road
Question Personal Life of Walter Oesau & Other Questions

Hi,

I am writing an article on Oberst Walter Oesau on Wikipedia. However I am stumped on few points. I'd appreciate if someone could give me credible references for the following points.

1. He's said to have liked to ride Bikes with no Helmets.
2. His personal life. Especially reagarding his marriage.
3. According to this link, there is a Quote from Major Hartmann Grasser

"At that time, the intellectual capacity and physical state of Oesau often exhausted by the missions of interception. Sure, its forces were already at the end. Several pilots and they were German leaders, like him, forced to fight without rest and I think this was one of the great mistakes of our leadership. "

I will truly appreciate if someone could provide a reference that mentions any of these points.

Perseus
Old 8th February 2009, 05:39

Horst Kube
Re: Personal Life of Walter Oesau & Other Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
Hi,

I am writing an article on Oberst Walter Oesau on Wikipedia. However I am stumped on few points. I'd appreciate if someone could give me credible references for the following points.

1. He's said to have liked to ride Bikes with no Helmets.
2. His personal life. Especially reagarding his marriage.

3. According to this link, there is a Quote from Major Hartmann Grasser

"At that time, the intellectual capacity and physical state of Oesau often exhausted by the missions of interception. Sure, its forces were already at the end. Several pilots and they were German leaders, like him, forced to fight without rest and I think this was one of the great mistakes of our leadership. "
Mr. "Perseus",

I am pretty sure, that Walter Oesau never wanted to have a look into his pants - neither from you or anybody else.

So, please let these private questions out from this board and take Walter Oesau as the man he was: a genuine pilot and a fine guy.

Horst
Old 8th February 2009, 14:59

Perseus71 is on a distinguished road

Hi Horst,

I don't intend to be rude or go into details of the personal life. All I am trying to do is to complete the biography I am writing on Wikipedia. In any biography you at least in passing need to mention the fact that the person had a family. Without credible references to cite, I can't even mention the fact that he even had a wife. With all due respect I am NOT getting into his pants. All I am trying to show is a personal side to the great aviator.

Cheers

Perseus

Last edited by Perseus71; 10th February 2009 at 06:14. Reason: WHOOPS!!!
Old 8th February 2009, 19:23
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
With all due respect I am getting into his pants.
Isn't something missing from this sentence?
Old 8th February 2009, 19:34

Maximowitz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád View Post
Isn't something missing from this sentence?

Possibly.

I suspect Perseus is an American? Something of a communication problem, in Europe the phrase "..try and get in someone's pants" means to attempt to have sex with them..." *laughing*

Unless there's some weird necrophilia Luftwaffe cult I was unaware of...
Old 8th February 2009, 22:47

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road

Horst, Perseus is only attempting to fill out and round out the biography on Wikipedia.

As you might or might not remember, I'm working on a biography myself, hopefully in about 10 years or so (given how things can be with the new baby) I would like to try to get it published.

In order to do so, however, we need to be able to get the information that we are requesting - I am trying every channel I can, as is Perseus - not for our own perverse pleasure, but to round out and finish a biography on a man who, in my opinion, and I think in Perseus', deserves the attention that his more famous Kamaraden have had in the years passing.

Yeah, there's a weird cult, I can guarantee you that, Max - It's an internet joke called "rule 32" I think - if you can imagine it, someone has already created it. XD

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography
Old 8th February 2009, 23:18

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

I tend to side with Horst on this one, unless you are dealing with members of Oesau's family, or other first-person references, it will only be conjecture. There is no doubt that Oesau was one of the Luftwaffe's great "Vorbilds" and "Draufgaengers", and it should be left at that.
Old 9th February 2009, 00:51

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road

So how do you expect anyone to write biographies on people? Magic book-writing fairies?

Believe me, once I can get more information from the family, I won't be asking so many questions on here - the problem is that a vast majority of the family does not want to talk about their esteemed relative, and that makes it even harder.

I'm not whining here, I'm simply stating a fact. If one wants to write a book about someone, one should use all the resources that one has - including forums, libraries, etc.

I mean the late Oberst Oesau no disrespect at ALL, quite the contrary. I think it is time that a biography be written on him, and come Hell or high water, I'm going to do it.

My husband wants me to concentrate on the living Luftwaffe, and I can see his point - it is important to preserve history, and getting it live is the best - but if the person you want to write on is deceased, then you do what you need to do. I want to preserve and honor his memory and the history. Not to disgrace or disrespect in the least bit!

I have collaborated on Napoleonic history before; I understand what research and all that wonderfully fun (this is not sarcasm. I LOVE studying) digging, searching and finding can entail, and I am willing to do it. I'm even re-learning a foreign language so I can do so.

Now how does it look to new forum members, who come in looking for information, when der Alte treat them in such a manner? Perseus - and I - were looking for information, nothing more. Again, this is NOT meant as disrespect for the memory of the man, but a thirst for knowledge, and the full disclosure. If I was dead, and perhaps as famous, I would want the same treatment - full disclosure. And I would make sure that my family would know that.

It is mentioned elsewhere that Oberst Oesau wrote an autobiography - I am also trying to get information on that, so that perhaps it might be translated in the future.

It is extremely important that history is preserved, and that the true story is told so that we may know, in time, the truth, and be better informed of what is truth and what is conjecture.

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography
Old 9th February 2009, 04:07

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximowitz View Post
Possibly.

I suspect Perseus is an American? Something of a communication problem, in Europe the phrase "..try and get in someone's pants" means to attempt to have sex with them..." *laughing*

Unless there's some weird necrophilia Luftwaffe cult I was unaware of...
Maximowtiz, I am pretty sure the more appropriate expression would be 'walk in his shoes' rather than the 'pants' uh-thingie--because it means the same thing in the US as in Europe

nm

Last edited by NickM; 9th February 2009 at 04:08. Reason: added more info.
Old 9th February 2009, 05:32

Flitzer is on a distinguished road

In Rudel's Stuka Pilot, as detailed as he gets, he never even mentions the fact that he was even married. By the way, he was, and his wife was a very attractive woman by the way. As long as one is detailing the lives of these airmen isn't it appropriate to mention the basic details of their personal lives to give us more of a feel for personalities?