Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th August 2016, 22:43
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Danish Pilot Peter Horn - aircraft info wanted

Roland

No idea I am afraid.

Junker

That explains what he did after his return to Denmark and also gives more details about his political views.

Since this is a site where political views are not to be discussed, I will not make any further comments in that direction except to say the occupied Denmark during 1940-45 have my full respect and sympathies.

B Rgds
Stig
Old 30th August 2016, 07:43

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for that information Stig and Brian. I guess then that there never will be any additional information about Horn. A pity, as he was a double ace not unlike Kaj Birksted, but if that is what the family wants, then who are we to try to change it?
Thanks again.
Old 28th September 2017, 04:32

WidorS is on a distinguished road

Hello. Not sure whether to open a new tread about this or post the info here. I'm mainly interested to find more information about Hptm. Poul Sommer.

So this document from the Bundesarchieve states that he was transferred to Greece and made Staffelkaptaen of the new IV. Group of the JG 27. At least on paper.

http://www.jagdgeschwader4.de/media/...70622_0003.pdf

Other sources claim that he was send to Greece in charge of scouting out new airfields and guarding them. And partisan retaliation. This last piece of information, if it is true, really freaks me out. Was he indeed one of the relatively few "bad apples" in the Fighter units? He spends most of his time in Africa in the Stabschwarm, which could indicate, he didn't really get along very well with the other pilots. And then, a relatively successful pilot, is taken out of action and put in charge of security and furthermore send back to Denmark, where he quickly becomes one of the most hated men in the country and sentenced to death (but later pardoned to 12 years in the can). What a career.
"When the young new pilots arrive from school", states Steinhoff in his book "Over the Straits of Messina", "they behave cocky and militaristic. But after the first couple of missions where they realize the brutality of the air war and they have shat themselves, they become much more quite and mature."
Well, that obviously didn't apply to Hptm. Sommer. He simply was "kicked out" or frozen out of the Fighter Unit because he was a die-hard until the last day. At least, that's my theory.

Cheers
Old 15th October 2017, 14:50
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

what an interesting thread.
Could you agree that provisionally Peter Horn should be pronounced the Danish top ace and that he most probably scored his 11 kills in the Bf109 ?

Have a nice Sunday,

Michael
Old 15th October 2017, 16:17

Kaj Birksted is also recorded as having a similar number of kills - 10.5 or 11.5 depending on the source. He flew Spitfires Vb, IX and Mustang IV.
Cheers
Peter
Old 15th October 2017, 19:55
Alter Hase

I prefer 10,5 victories for Birksted:
http://cieldegloire.fr/002n_birksted.php

By the way, this book by Aders & Held
https://www.amazon.de/Bestell-Nr-425...s+aders%2Fheld
has a list of succesful JG51 pilots that includes a Lt. Horn of I./JG51 who has scored 10 victories with the Geschwader.

Michael

Last edited by knusel; 17th October 2017 at 14:48.
Old 18th October 2017, 22:39

Mikkel Plannthin

Birksted flew Mustang III, not IV, during his time as Wing Commander in Bentwaters Wing. He also carried out operations on the Hurricane and on Spit I and II in the early days of his operational career.

The number of victories credited to him depends - as is mentioned - on the sources, including on how you interpret some of his combat reports.

For more in Birksted
http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?person=15

I have redesigned my website recently. The page on victories has not yet been redesigned and is therefore offline at the moment. When on-line again, it includes a transcript of all combat reports on Birksted's victories.

Mikkel
Old 18th October 2017, 23:31
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

Well we still need to identify Horn's victories. Only fact is that is that he got both EK 2 and 1 on the same date. Further problem is that there was at least two different Horn with JG 51.

Junker
Old 19th October 2017, 02:40

Hello Mikkel.
The only information I have regarding Birksted's Mustang is that he flew his personal Mustang IV home after the war. (taken from Osprey's RAF Mustang and Thunderbolt Aces).
I take it from what you said he flew a Mustang III operationally? Do you have any information which corroborates Osprey's claim he had a Mustang IV?
Thanks
Peter
Old 19th October 2017, 14:44
Alter Hase

Good afternoon Peter,

that book indicates 10+1sh kills for Birksted, doesn't it ?
Does is also indicate the top RAF Mustang/Thunderbolt ace ?

Michael