Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd August 2013, 09:25
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking fate of first captured Bf109E to reach Britain, "Red 9," WNr.3326 of 2./JG51.

Hello,

Peter Cornwell has just revised our EoE Luft Loss DB for this entry:
"28 September 1939 Western Front: 2./JG51 Messerschmitt Bf109E-1 (3326). Suffered engine trouble and lost formation over Pirmasens during frontier patrol. Lost bearings and forced-landed at ‘Kirschacker’, Geudertheim, 4 km south-east of Brumath, when low on fuel 12.00 p.m. FF Uffz Georg Pavenzinger captured unhurt. Aircraft Red 9 + 100% write-off.

First intact Bf109E to fall into allied hands. This aircraft was made serviceable for evaluation by the French but crashed on a test flight at Nancy on October 6. It is believed that it was subsequently repaired and passed to the RAF on 22 December, being flown from Coulommiers to Tangmere, en-route to the A&AEE Boscombe Down, by W/C J.F.X. McKenna. Grounded at Tangmere by weather and refuelling problems it never arrived at Boscombe Down and its ultimate fate is unknown."

Surely someone knows the fate of an aircraft as important as this one, the first captured Bf109E to reach Britain. Who knows what happened to this a/c? How could it just mysteriously disappear from the records?

Regards,
Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 4th August 2013, 19:15
natsanper

Re: Seeking fate of first captured Bf109E to reach Britain, "Red 9," WNr.3326 of 2./JG51.

I do not have information on this.

I do have a question, I am trying to find information about a propeller, it has the following markings:

9-11073.10
zu W-Nr 302 52 1
F12.70022

If possible I want to find out the airplane it came from and the name of its pilot.

What I know it was recovered in Biggin Hill, UK during WWII

It would be of great help if you know and point me in the right direction as to where to look or who to ask.

Best regards

NS
Old 5th August 2013, 20:49
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking fate of first captured Bf109E to reach Britain, "Red 9," WNr.3326 of 2./JG51.

Natsamper,

I would suggest that you post your question as a separate thread here on TOCH, rather than append it to a discussion that is likely to have little to do with what you're trying to find out.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 6th August 2013, 03:55

ahafan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hickey View Post
Hello,

Peter Cornwell has just revised our EoE Luft Loss DB for this entry:
"28 September 1939 Western Front: 2./JG51 Messerschmitt Bf109E-1 (3326). Suffered engine trouble and lost formation over Pirmasens during frontier patrol. Lost bearings and forced-landed at ‘Kirschacker’, Geudertheim, 4 km south-east of Brumath, when low on fuel 12.00 p.m. FF Uffz Georg Pavenzinger captured unhurt. Aircraft Red 9 + 100% write-off.

First intact Bf109E to fall into allied hands. This aircraft was made serviceable for evaluation by the French but crashed on a test flight at Nancy on October 6. It is believed that it was subsequently repaired and passed to the RAF on 22 December, being flown from Coulommiers to Tangmere, en-route to the A&AEE Boscombe Down, by W/C J.F.X. McKenna. Grounded at Tangmere by weather and refuelling problems it never arrived at Boscombe Down and its ultimate fate is unknown."

Surely someone knows the fate of an aircraft as important as this one, the first captured Bf109E to reach Britain. Who knows what happened to this a/c? How could it just mysteriously disappear from the records?

Regards,
Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
hello
from what i read sometime ago.1987-90.that the emil from france was test flown here circa 1941.but crashed around late 41.if im right.
harleyfords book messerschmitt history..has this i think
sharon
Old 6th August 2013, 11:57
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

on 6.10.1939 it was belly-landed by French test pilot most likely due to pilot error (there is a photo showing this accident). The aircraft was put back in service and transferred to Boscombe Down at the end of December 1939.

Source: J. Jackiewicz & M. Wawrzynski "Captured Me 109s".

Regards

Robert
Old 6th August 2013, 17:15
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

This doesn't provide information about the fate of the a/c once it reached Britain. That's what we don't know about the history of this a/c.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 6th August 2013, 21:45

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point

Larry and Robert,

J-Y. Lorant wrote in two parts a remarkable article in the French Magazine Air Fan (n°208 and 209)

He wrote (summed up):

First airworthy 109 in French hands was red 6 (3326) 2./JG51, Uffz Georg Pavenzinger, 28/9/1939, 10h30 at Geudertheim.

After to be repaired (leak at the tank) at Nancy-Essey Cne Rozannoff did a first flight ON 10 october 1939. He did a belly landing following failure on a tab (but also a poor and wet runway)

On 21/12/1939 one Hudson from RAF boscombe down landed in Nancy with different crew and pilot Wing/Co Mac Kenna. Hudson and Bf109 took off with Mac Kenna on 22/12/1939 to Coulommiers then Chateaudun and at last Tangmere. On 9/01/40 this 109 was still at Tangmere then this 109 COULD BE removed then sent to RAE of Farnborough by truck. Any info after this.

Bertrand
Old 7th August 2013, 01:36
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Bertrand,

We knew that it got to Tangmere, but what happened to it after that? Was it ever test flown at the RAE? This seems to be the mystery.

Regards,

Larry
Old 7th August 2013, 04:29

Don Pearson

Maybe some information;

http://www.gc2-4.com/histritter.htm

Don
Old 7th August 2013, 22:20
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Don,

Thanks for posting this Don. This looks like some really interesting information on the 2./JG51 Pavenzinger incident on 28.09.39. Since I don't speak French is there someone who does that can at least summarize what these articles say so I can evaluate the information?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator