Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st May 2010, 21:58

Hans Jehee is on a distinguished road
Kriegsmarine and Ultra along the Dutch coast

Hallo,

My name is Hans Jehee and I am researching (among others) the naval warfare along the Dutch coast. Next week (starting the 10th of May) I will visit The national Archives to continue my reseach. My intention was to get an idea how the various Records DEFE3, HW1 and HW 5 relate to each other. Nick Beale's guide and the threads "Using Ultra to reseach The Luftwaffe" and "Using Y-intercept to research the Luftwaffe" were very useful to acquired some understanding of this subject.
Though this forum is primarily dedicated to Luftwaffe-research I can imagine that you guys also come across "Kriegsmarine" material. I am interested in all Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe (naval-related) material related to the anti-shipping warfare along the Dutch coast and its extensions to The Channel and the Helgoland Bight.
Maybe can somebody give any tips, clues or directions where to look.

Greetings, Hans Jehee

P.S. If one of you have question about German naval operations along the Dutch, don't hesitate to contact me. I have a rather extensive collection about this subject, including nearly all the KTB's (War Diaries) of German Naval units stationed in the Netherlands.
Old 2nd May 2010, 14:43

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road
Re: Kriegsmarine and Ultra along the Dutch coast

Hello Hans, good luck with the Kew research. You will find an enormous amount of detailed reports there, and if you can advise what in particular you are seeking I may be able to point you in the right direction. By the way, you probably know this, but the National Archives will not be open to viewers on Monday the 10th: they recently changed their hours to be closed on Mondays and open longer for the other days.

Bruce
Old 2nd May 2010, 20:38

Hallo Bruce,

Thanks for you kind answer. I am actually intereted in the whole period from sept 1939 till mai 1945 but for my next visit to Kew I am concentrating on jan/mai 1945 because to non-existence of German KTB's (War Diaries) for this period. Secondly I am researching 1941 because a number of Dutch fishing vessels were sunk by aircraft in that year in contrast to other later years.
I am aware of the fact that The National Archives are close on Monday, that is the day I am travelling, with the Eurostar this time.

Greetings, Hans
Old 3rd May 2010, 02:02

Erich

wrote you a private message Hans

Erich
Old 4th May 2010, 21:41

tcolvin is on a distinguished road

You might find relevant background material in my article on Wilhelmshaven in Issue Number 148 of After The Battle Magazine published later this month.

Tony
Old 5th May 2010, 09:56
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

There are microfilm reels of Naval Ultra in DEFE3 (especially U-boats' signals) but I know very little about them. The other DEFE3 reels include some naval material as well, especially from the Aegean and Adriatic. In HW5 at the end of each "Report", there is a section headed "Inter-Service" which sometimes includes reports from VP boats about air attacks on convoys off Holland and Norway. The best thing to do is spend as much time as you can searching the online catalogue before you travel. ... And remember your passport or photo i/d which you need to get a reader's ticket at Kew.
Old 9th May 2010, 17:19

Hallo,

Thanks to everybody for the very usefull advise and remarks. I hope I will have fruitfull visit. I will visit TNA the coming week from tuesday till saterday.

Greetings,

Hans