Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Community > General

General Please use this forum to post feedback, suggestions and problems relating to 12oclockhigh.net

Old 25th May 2005, 22:13
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Exclamation Troll Alert (was: Random thoughts, perhaps a warning...)

http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

Here are some extracts from the last link:

Playtime Trolls

Playtime trolls are relatively easy to spot, but they may not be apparent to the naive user. There isn't a single set of characteristics that applies to playtime trolls, but you can look for some or all of the following signs:
  • a lack of buy-in to the list philosophy or values
  • generally low level of activity, with sudden spurts of interaction - or perhaps a new persona that has strong opinions on controversial subjects
  • a mixture of friendly posts with a confrontational style of interaction
  • the use of provocative language and sweeping generalisations about certain topics or categories of people
  • a lack of in-depth understanding of the topic
  • a lack of personal information
  • a lack of a genuinely unique perspective on the topic
  • a lack of humour
  • restarting topics that have already been done
  • use of language that encourages the dialogue to enter topics that are controversial and likely to upset some team members
  • the use of attention-seeking gimmick (e.g.: "I was once exploited by an XYZ")
  • they follow up their own articles if the group doesn't respond to their posts
  • inconsistencies in the style and nature of the post and any proclaimed information (e.g.: claiming to be a child but writing with an adult style; claiming to be adult, but writing with a childish grammatical construction).
  • also note that trolls often seem to use free email services (such as hotmail.com) or have email addresses ending in .edu. However, trolls could be virtually anyone, and the email address is no guide as to whether the persona is a bona fide user or not.
To counteract playtime trolls, the best action is to ignore them. If you are convinced they are trolls, then you can advise the list manager. However, if other group members respond to the suspected troll's posts, then you may have to consider some of the responses outlined for tactical or strategic trolls.

Dealing with trolls

When dealing with suspected trolls, there are various strategies that you can employ. First of all, remember that just because you suspect that someone is a troll, it doesn't mean that they are a troll; also, just because you suspect someone is genuine, it doesn't mean that they are genuine. In view of this, the best tactics are:
  • ignore postings that you suspect may be from trolls.
  • don't invest any of your self emotionally until you have verified beyond all doubt that the person you are dealing with is genuine
  • beware of off list emails that praise and flatter, or seem to evoke sympathy. If you feel yourself beginning to like someone, ask first: how much verifiable data do I have about them?
  • if you do get involved in anyone, seek out verifiable data. Trolls will provide some data that will lead to dead ends; real people will provide some data that is open-ended and leads to a myriad of sources which enable you to verify their genuine status
  • if you must respond to a troll posting, don't get involved in the argument; limit it to pointing out that the posting may be considered as trollish, for the benefit of other list members.
  • Write to the listmaster to highlight what is happening
  • Write to the postmaster of the troll's domain. Keep it simple, polite and to the point (they are very busy!). Include your evidence (e.g.: offensive emails) and the full email header information, so that the troll can be properly traced.
  • Listmasters can also make their lists restricted, and conduct a security analysis of each list application before allowing them to subscribe. This is probably easier to do in areas that have professional associations or qualifications.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 26th May 2005, 04:25
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Random thoughts, perhaps a warning, anyone...

Hi Ruy,

I am a moderator on my company's message board. I have run into the same problem.

The internet is a lawless, Wild West type environment. Anyone can type things like: "I'd look it up for ya but I'm too lazy to do it." Instead of being looked upon as a place to exchange ideas and information in a respectful way with people, some view it as a playground. Hiding behind a fake name, and fake identity, they could be anyone from anywhere. Some of them are very childish, others are a bit more sophisticated. Still others type first and think later, or not at all.

In the end, I read the "problem" messages, think, and either wait to see more or immediately privately contact the poster to point out that what he is doing is wrong. Unfortunately, most of the time these are people who will not tolerate the slightest disrespect from me but somehow feel it is their "right" to be disrespectful of me, my company or others on our boards. A few go so far as claiming it is their "right" to say anything they want and accuse me of "censorship." I tell them our message board is not a democracy. It is a benevolent dictatorship. We provide these people a free service for their own use and enjoyment. However, there are rules. Basically, three warnings, and on the fouth incident, a brief suspension, and on the fifth, they are banned forever.

In broader terms, I think regular people will lose some confidence in the internet. There are viruses, so-called "spam" advertising, the possibility of stealing personal information or "hijacking" a person's computer. In the last year, the amount of "spam" has doubled from the year before. On the other hand, people will leave message boards where vulgar hooligans are the majority. Why should anyone spend their time at a place where they are being insulted?

On this site I've learned a lot and people are civil. Thank you.

Ed West
Old 26th May 2005, 15:13

Re: Random thoughts, perhaps a warning, anyone...

Thanks Ed for the feedback.

Unfortunately I have a number of limitations, one of them is that I often lack patience or act on impulse (or instinct).

A forum such as this one is a community effort, trolling indirectly offends the entire community.

I find trolling repugnant and a terrible waste of people's kindness and effort.

Regards,

Old 8th April 2006, 19:41

pandeiro is on a distinguished road
Re: Troll Alert (was: Random thoughts, perhaps a warning...)

Hello.
This topic is something I can well relate to. I am an administrator at a site that has come under troll attack on numerous occassions. Many well planned offsite and orchestrated over a course of weeks. Usually the other admin' and moderator staff are able to track them through ips or hints from members as to where they originated. We have managed at times to discover the sites where these attacks were planned. We have then joined those sites and entered into the plan so as to learn more.

I am not the greatest PC expert, but if you like I will speak amongst the other admin's staff and ask if they can offer some hints as to how trolls and hackers were discovered. I will post those on this thread later, or PM them to the admin. I must do this during the week as many have gone away for the weekend.

Of course it's also worth remembering that many who come across as trolls are simply people who are very enthusiastic and so post without thinking. Some music message boards show this situation very clearly.

Oh yes, this is my first post on your most interesting and informative forum. I must say I am impressed, having read much before joining just now in order to answer on this thread.

All the best. Pandeiro.
Old 9th April 2006, 10:32

Thanks Pandeiro, although things have been relatively quiet since appropriate measures were taken.

Welcome to our forum!

Old 18th October 2006, 07:40

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road

Worse yet are the trolls that prowl RC forums, Roy. I ran into a few that were the most intolerant rotten little fellers. They actually attacked my husband's site and attempted to shut it down via javascript attacks because they had a political disagreement with the husband's belief system. They attacked him, me, our integrity, everything.

A good thing to do for admins (and I had to do this more than once when I used to run Napoleonic forums) is IP log. If you get the IP of the troll, do a WHOIS search, then a DNS search to come up with the offending beastie's ISP, write their abuse department and be prepared to provide a good detailed log of the offense.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/ is the link I use to discover where the troll might be slinking around.

If your BBS system has the ability, you can then block either the block of IP addresses the person uses, or the single IP they seem to be assigned.

Back in the day of unassigned IPS, (aka you got a new one each time you logged on - usually with the dial up guys) this was harder. But now, with Cable, T-1 and the other broadband "online all the time" IP services, the IP is usually fixed, so a single block of the IP will result in negation of the troll, unless said troll is smart enough to do a cold-boot and reset of their IP. (Some are, some aren't.)

I hate em, really I do.

One must also put into consideration, however, that long absences followed by a flurry of posts might also mean something else - The work week is over, there's snow on the ground and we're snowed in... etc etc.

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography
Old 18th October 2006, 09:54

Thanks for the advice Cori.

Yes, this forum supports many of the features you mention and we use them accordingly.

Trolling is IMHO a complete waste of time. If you have an issue, feel free to discuss said issue, perhaps you'd find your objections removed or your worries alleviated.

At best, ignore a forum you dislike. At worst, if you have legitimate gripes, report the content to the ISP hosting the forum.

TOCH is strictly apolitical, something I personally feel strongly about. The members of this community come from all over the world and their political outlook is just as varied. They can discuss and as long as they keep it constructive, even argue about their interests. But it is all bound by a strictly apolitical forum code.

This is more or less an open letter to all those would be "knights of justice" who see a reason to attack this forum for any political reasons.

There is in fact no need.

TOCH! is a healthy community, strong in self-policing.