Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 20th January 2014, 20:17
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Baptism of Fire: The First Combat Experiences of the Royal Hungarian Air Force and Slovak Air Force, March 1939

Apparently, this one had been delayed or is this just a different format? Available now according to the Stone & Stone web site.

http://www.amazon.com/Baptism-Fire-C.../dp/1906033935

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 20th January 2014, 20:57
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád is on a distinguished road
Re: Baptism of Fire: The First Combat Experiences of the Royal Hungarian Air Force and Slovak Air Force, March 1939

It is available now. I have ordered it last week.
Old 12th February 2014, 20:49

Csaba B. Stenge
Re: Baptism of Fire: The First Combat Experiences of the Royal Hungarian Air Force and Slovak Air Force, March 1939

Gentlemen,

The book is available. I also have several copies, if somebody is looking for a signed one.
Old 15th February 2014, 14:12

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point

Any more detail, or some pages in pdf to see the inside of it?

The book is about only RHAF action over Slovakia, no info about army action against Slovakia?

Regards,
mirekw
Old 16th February 2014, 08:47

Csaba B. Stenge

Mirek,

Two dozen or so sample pages are available via amazon (search inside this book option):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...pf_rd_i=468294

The book covers in detail the activity of the RHAF over Sub-Carpathia and against the independent Slovakia soon after. It starts with October, 1938 with the border crisis. It describes in detail not only the RHAF, but also the Slovak Air Force's activity against RHAF and Hungarian troops.

Hungarian ground troops' general activity was described in the necessary level. The effect of the Slovak air raids against them was published in the extremely detailed way: every killed soldier with his name, unit, rank, position, area, time and cause of the loss, if it is available (i. e. bomb explosion or strafing). Same with the military vehicle losses/damages (unit, area, time, type of the vehicle, with registration plates).

If you are interested in the ground troops, I've published recently a detailed study about the Hungarian anti-tank artillery in March, 1939 in a Hungarian military journal and several other materials on the way (including a long study in a conference proceedings - two years ago, there was an international conference in this topic, where I gave a presentation and for the published version of the proceedings, I've given a long, detailed study - sooner or later it will be available in English as well).

As for the book - the important, Poland related issue was also discussed (reinstating the common border between Hungary and Poland, its strategical importance, plans, the result and consequences of September, 1939 events) So this material is also important from Poland's point of view.

So it is a very detailed material, based mostly on formerly unresearched and unpublished primary sources (although the research is extremely challenging in this case, since very high percent of the original, primary materials are lost). It contains over 150 pictures too, high percent of them are unpublished and the captions are also very detailed with lots of explanations on persons, events, and so on.
Old 16th February 2014, 12:32

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, I
about the air war I alone in Poland published two major articles a few years ago.
That's what interested me even if they are in the book about the Hungarians attack on Ukraine Transcarpathian (the Subcarpathian Rus') on March 14, 1939?

According Ukrainians also attacked their planes (?) - battle on a Red Field (Krasnoje Pole) on 15th March. This is just a small episode of fighting the Ukrainians against Hungarian in Transcarpathia.

This is interesting, that among Ukrainians fought with Hungary were Polish citizens (from Galicja) who illegally infiltrated across the border - about 600 (yes 600 Ukrainians Sich memebrs were from Poland, from "Polish" OUN).

In turn, the Hungarians and the Poles worked closely diversionary actions against Czechoslovakia in 1938-1939, mostly in 1938.

BTW: Hungarians had captured about 200 Ukrainians (Polish citisens) in March 1939, later about 170 were handed over to German (to admiral Canaris).

Regards,
mw

BTW
Small flighy of Czechoslovak 3 S-328 also took part in this war. One S-328 had later landed in Romania.
Old 20th February 2014, 15:05

g-1reaper is on a distinguished road

I received my copy last week. It is a really well researched and written book, with a lot of excellent photo material. I can recommend it, if you are interested in small or unknown conflicts this is a must have!
Old 21st February 2014, 13:58

Hĺkan

Hello,

After long delays from Amazon, I finaly received my copy earlier this week and although I had high expectations on it, the book exceeded them!
Well done Csaba!

Best wishes/Hĺkan

WWII Biplane Fighter Aces Blog
http://ww2biplanefighteraces.blogspot.com/
Old 8th March 2014, 10:11

Csaba B. Stenge

Gentlemen,

thank you for your kind words, I really appreciated them.