Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th June 2005, 01:01
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ex-Kondor Legion aircrew gassed at Berburg KL?

Just read in the book "Olga" a mention that the first inmates gassed at Bernburg Concentration camp in 1942 were 20 ex-Kondor Legion aircrew who had failed to carry out a mission in Spain in 1936.

Does anyone anything else about this fascinating story?
Old 19th June 2005, 19:38
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: Ex-Kondor Legion aircrew gassed at Berburg KL?

Bernburg was not a concentration camp, but a gassing center used to elimite mentally ill and other "useless" (in nazi eyes) people in 39-40, that was then stopped after protests by German clergymen and population (a proof that the nazi regime was not able to do everything). Later the same faclities were used to "dispose" or concentration camp inmates once they were too weak to work. I have no definitive proof, but I strongly doubt that Bernburg gassings started in 1942. 1939-40 is probably correct.

As for gassing airmen that failed to carry out a mission, that is more Hollywood than history. German armed forces had a harsh disciplin and tens of thousands of German soldiers and officers were executed during the war, but the failure of a mission was not enough to be executed (until the Remagen bridge, at least).

And I have never found an example of execution by gas from a German serviceman: they were shot, beheaded, hanged but not gassed.

It is always difficult to prove that something didn't happen, but in this case I'm strongly guessing it is fiction.

Edited: found on the net

Bernburg A state psychiatric hospital built in 1875; from 1940 to 1943, Bernburg was one of six state hospitals where the psychiatric and physically disabled as well as many thousands of concentration camp prisoners were killed in gas chambers using carbon monoxide. In Bernburg, more than 5,000 prisoners, mostly Jewish, from concentration camps at Buchenwald, Flossenbürg, Gross-Rosen, Neuengamme, Ravensbrück, and Sachsenhausen were killed under the "special operation 14f13." In 1943, killing was suspended and Bernburg again became nursing home.

At least that proves that killings didn't start in 1942.
Old 19th June 2005, 22:50

Jens
Re: Ex-Kondor Legion aircrew gassed at Berburg KL?

Interesting story, although i can't imagine since i know in the facts, written by L. Rizotti.

One thing isn't clear for me too, why should soldiers, which did insubordination in 1936, be gassed in 1942? This would mean, they were 6 years jailed?

On the other side they are some stories around, telling that geman soldiers of Legion Condor were shoot in Spain, if they believed, their fight wasn't right.
Old 20th June 2005, 06:48
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ex-Kondor Legion aircrew gassed at Bernburg KL?

Gentlemen,

At this moment I'm thinking of writing the author to inquire of his sources.

Carlos