Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th July 2005, 03:30

RodM is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe data from ULTRA

Hello One & All,

I recently bit the bullet and have started to go through the ULTRA decrypts in the DEFE 3 series from the PRO.

For the record, being in New Zealand, this has meant ordering duplicates of the relevent microfilms. As a sampler, I obtained DEFE 3/517-518, which covers 15th-20th March 1945 (6 days) at a cost of GBP55 plus postage. It took just under a month from payment to receive the duplicate and the British National Archives website and ordering system is first class. Obviously, obtaining duplicates for a wider time frame will be very expensive (but, still cheaper than hiring a researcher to combe through the material).

Allied with further material at the PRO on Luftwaffe W/T radio traffic, it has been possible to build up a good picture of operations (specifically, Nachtjagd operations Jan-Apr 1945).

Anyway, for those with vastly more experience of this material, I do have a couple of questions:

1. A straight abbreviation of "ARC" is often used. Does anyone know what it means?

2. Keywords are often repeated (i.e. "Rheine & Rheine"). Does any know the reason for this other than to add clarity.

3. From what I have seen, it appears that the decrypts are not reproduced verbatim (in decoded form). Therefore, I get the impression that some information may have been left out at the discretion of the intelligence staff. Is this a fair assumption and, out of interest, do the original (full) decrypts still exist?

Cheers

RodM

Last edited by RodM; 27th July 2005 at 03:32.