Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 12th June 2014, 09:18
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough
Crash location 103 Squadron Lancaster JB403 2/3.12.1943?

Dear all,

This week, I got a request from a family member of Sgt. G.A. England, crew member of 103 Squadron Lancaster JB403, who was killed in action during the 2/3 December 1943 Berlin raid. Tom England wrote: "This was the aircraft my great uncle (G A England) was killed in. Whilst I know a great deal about my Uncle's service, I know next to nothing about the loss of his aircraft. There is a long standing family rumour which suggests the aircraft was attacked by a fighter on the way the target and the rear gunner fell from the aircraft as a result of the attack. I really don't know where this information came from -There seems to be little evidence to substantiate it, other than the fact rear gunner (R H Tomlin) was not originally buried with the rest of the crew, but was moved after the war. I would be interested to know if you have any further information regarding the loss of JB403."

Regrettably, I have no info re. the crash location -or cause of loss- of JB403; who can help?

Cheers and thanks for any information, Theo
Old 7th May 2020, 20:19

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Crash location 103 Squadron Lancaster JB403 2/3.12.1943?

I know the crash location of the Lancaster. Does anyone still have contact with Tom England?
Old 9th May 2020, 20:36

Horst Weber
Re: Crash location 103 Squadron Lancaster JB403 2/3.12.1943?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Boiten View Post
Dear all,

This week, I got a request from a family member of Sgt. G.A. England, crew member of 103 Squadron Lancaster JB403, who was killed in action during the 2/3 December 1943 Berlin raid. Tom England wrote: "This was the aircraft my great uncle (G A England) was killed in. Whilst I know a great deal about my Uncle's service, I know next to nothing about the loss of his aircraft. There is a long standing family rumour which suggests the aircraft was attacked by a fighter on the way the target and the rear gunner fell from the aircraft as a result of the attack. I really don't know where this information came from -There seems to be little evidence to substantiate it, other than the fact rear gunner (R H Tomlin) was not originally buried with the rest of the crew, but was moved after the war. I would be interested to know if you have any further information regarding the loss of JB403."

Regrettably, I have no info re. the crash location -or cause of loss- of JB403; who can help?

Cheers and thanks for any information, Theo
Good evening Theo !

The entire crew of JB403 was initially buried at the village-cemetary of Wendisch-Buchholz. This village is located one Kilometer (km) East of Halbe, and about 23 km southeast of Tempelhof airfield in the center of Berlin. The village's name was changed in 1937 to Märkisch-Buchholz.

This crew was reburied on May 22nd, 1947 to the British Military Cemetary Heerstrasse in Berlin.

It is possible, that in 1947, under the polical requirements in East Germany, the initial burial location parish had changed it's name again from Märkisch-Buchholz to Wendisch-Buchholz.

The reason of the downing of JB403 is not really clear. There were a lot of German nightfighters this night in the area away, but I could only find one, whose claim was East of Berlin. Perhaps it was Flak. But in this case, a track-chart of the 103rd Squadron mission that December 2nd, 1943 would help.

Best wishes !.

Horst Weber