Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 8th January 2024, 23:48
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Photo Nieuport

Well Clint

Actually I didn't bother to look at the British Nieuport. Just checked my French and US (Casari)
sources.

I have no idea how the SFA or Nieuport worked with their order/deliveries.
I just can't believe SFA ordered their aircraft in such a complete mess/disorder.
It is more likely that Nieuport, for some reason, was allowed to deliver the ordered aircraft
in the terrible mix up we are now facing.

Neither can I understand why SFA and Aviation Militaire allowed Nieuport to waste time and
Government money developing all those incredible amount of different types whose performance
improvement was basically none....

I take it you still don't have Casari's book? I can scan the relevant Nieuport pages for you
if you like. If interested send me an e-mail. I have the same one.

Cheers
Stig
Old 9th January 2024, 11:39
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road

Stig, I shall ponder on regarding the subject of how the SFA/Nieuport allocated the numbers in such an apparently confusing manner.

However, I have looked at the photo of N.2664 again and think I see a projecting engine cylinder behind the guy's elbow - if so probably the machine is a Nieuport 21 after all.

So serial and type probably correct all that is needed now is the id of the individual who flew this machine.

Regards,

Clint
Old 11th January 2024, 16:51
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road

While continuing to hope for an id of the pilot and unit of Nieuport 21 N.2664,in the previous photo in this thread here is a photo of another Nieuport currently on delcampe.

https://www.delcampe.net/en_GB/colle...944851300.html

Nieuport 27 N.558*

Any assistance with the identification of the unit of this machine would also be welcome.

Regards,

Clint