Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 29th October 2007, 23:08
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Vichy French pilots 1940

Thanks Tom and Bertrand

We are gradually getting there!

Was Querin killed in a flying accident?

Cheers
Brian
Old 30th October 2007, 06:11

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point

quote =flying accident

certainly do not sure. I will check.

Bertrand
Old 30th October 2007, 11:20
Alter Hase

Hi guys

I note that four seaplanes (Loire 130s of Esc HS2?) - two from Dunkerque and two from Strasbourg - were moored to bouys at Mer-el-Kebir prior to the attack on 3 July, and that all four took off when the attack began.

It is implied that (1) one was badly damaged by AA fire (French?) but managed to reach Arzew by nightfall (2) one put down in the sae to shake off a Skua (3) one contrived to signal the movements of the British fleet but was attacked by a Skua and also by a French fighter, but succeeded in reaching Mostaganem (4) one shadowed the British Fleet, was attacked but reached Arzew (this information extracted from Warren Tute's The Deadly Stroke).

In addition, the Birzete (E2-1) had departed Arzew at 1815 to investigate the state of affairs at Mers-el-Kebir when it ran into two Skuas and was badly damaged, alighting on the sea near Oran

Can anyone put flesh on bone? Identities of the four Loire 130s and their pilots/crews? Which was which?

In hope
Brian
Old 30th October 2007, 15:56

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Brian,

..you don't have Morareau's 'Loire 130' tome ..?...super book ..published by Lela Presse ..link follows

Dunkerque; No. 69 HS 21 and no. 70 HS 23, pilot LV Pierre Evin... No. 69 came under British anit-aircraft fire, was then attacked by fighters, managed to evade their attentions unscathed and reached Arzew that evening...No. 70 also fended off a fighter attack by the expedient of putting down on the sea...before returning to Mers-el-Kebir...

Strasbourg; No. 60 HS 24, crew EV1 Pujade, pilot Mt Andre Troadec, not immediately clear from the text what the fourth a/c was, probably No. 50 (?)...No. 60 was assailed by flak from its own ship.. the two aircraft provided cover for their vessel and spotted for its fire before touching down after two hours in the air at Mostaganem and flying on to Arzew the following day and Algers on the 6th..

http://www.avions-bateaux.com

by the way the current issue of Lela Presse's 'Navires ...' is devoted to Mers-el-Kebir ..

http://www.avions-bateaux.com/en/cat...ogue_1061.html

Last edited by FalkeEins; 30th October 2007 at 17:24.
Old 30th October 2007, 17:47
Alter Hase

Thanks for the latest, Neil.

Any success with the Gisclon extract/translation?

Cheers
Brian
Old 30th October 2007, 17:55

Hi Brian

e-mail incoming via the forum...

cheers

Neil
Old 30th October 2007, 19:37
Alter Hase

Hi guys

Hawk 75As of GCI/5 and GCII/5 were engaged with FAA aircraft during the Mers-el-Kebir tragedy on 3 and 6 July. Skua pilots believed they gained hits on three occasions - two on 3 July and one on 6 July. Is there any record of damage suffered by any Hawks during these actions?

Cheers
Brian
Old 30th October 2007, 22:02

quick answer for 3 July from Gisclon's account..

"..when we came into Saint-Denis-du-Sig, Lieutenant Trémolet was already there. He was pointing out to the mechanics the twelve bullet impacts in the fuselage of his Curtiss ..

'..if Legrand hadn't shouted a warning my career would have come to an end today', he said with a smile. His patrol been jumped by six Skuas. Legrand had shot down the enemy fighter that had caught Trémolet but had then had a narrow escape himself for which he could thank the armour plate in his machine..."

Gisclon doesn't report any damage sustained for 6 July aside from that inflicted by his victim....

" three seconds later I was on his tail as he levelled out.. I gave him a long burst from fifty metres which struck home. My incendiaries danced across his wings, setting them alight, while his gunner peppered my starboard wing. I gave him a second burst and he tipped over into a downwards spiral and disappeared into the cloud deck over the sea.."
Old 30th October 2007, 23:14
Alter Hase

Hi Neil

Wow! I'm drooling! I trust you received my e-mail.

Cheers
Brian
Old 31st October 2007, 12:25

no, sorry, didn't get your mail - but I've send the account for 6 July via the forum..

Last edited by FalkeEins; 31st October 2007 at 13:35.