Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th November 2019, 18:11

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Part from P-51B of P-51D?

We recovered a P-51D with P-51B parts installed. There were data plates with P-51B on it. Turns out, they built more parts than P-51Bs were built and instead of making new data plates they went into the D model until they run out of the parts.
Old 24th November 2019, 23:11

Cees Steijger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSwank View Post
I am beginning to wonder if the sequence of events could be as follows. The first models of the P-51D did not have a hand pump. The hand pump was used in earlier P-51 models to move the flaps.

This quote is from P-51 pilots check list: http://www.aerofiles.com/checklist-p51.html

"There is NO emergency wing flap operation provided on the P-51D, as the hand pump has been eliminated. On all earlier models of the P-51, put flap selector to desired position and operate the hand pump until it seizes. Flaps will be in desired position and will stay there until another selection is made."

Suppose that then field modifications (perhaps not "official") were made to install the Model B hand pump in the Model D because of pilot demand.

Next, at some point, the hand pump (now with model D numbers) was added back to the model D and K P-51 construction as Steve B's parts catalog seems to show.

There is also a "late" version of the P-51 D/K parts catalog that can be downloaded from here:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/thread...catalog.50278/

What is interesting is the section on the "hand pump" (now called part number 109-580243 which supersedes part number 106/109-580241) has a notation that the hand pump will come wrapped in felt and is stowed as loose equipment. It will not be factory installed.

I would appear that the AAF went "back and forth" on whether the hand pump should be in the model D/K. Finally they just made it "optional" and included a pump that could be field installed if desired.

If this theory is correct, it would appear that the Model B pump bracket that was found was part of the Model D that crashed. It seems unlikely there also is a complete "P-51B" at the same crash site.
I was thinking along the same lines. Field modernization. All the parts so far found in the lake (a wing flap, a wing, and several small parts) were from a D-model. What may have been found during dredging is the engine which was not salvaged in 1970. I've requested permission to investigate the crash location. I'll keep you posted!
Old 26th November 2019, 14:51

Cees Steijger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg keay View Post
We recovered a P-51D with P-51B parts installed. There were data plates with P-51B on it. Turns out, they built more parts than P-51Bs were built and instead of making new data plates they went into the D model until they run out of the parts.
Interesting! Which P-51D was that - serial, unit? --Cees
Old 5th December 2019, 19:33

Cess, I cannot remember. It was a P-51 recovered near Giessen over 10 years ago and I helped another team out on that one. I know the pilot had bailed out and was shot and killed on the ground.
Old 22nd March 2020, 13:21

Peglar is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Part from P-51B of P-51D?

Nonsense - it was the P 51 D-20 with the FT-A serial number: 44-63790 of the 353rd Fighter Squadron of the 354th Fighter Group from 1st. Lt. Harrison Calvin Frost - he died in Florida in 1977.
Old 22nd March 2020, 21:05

Really Peglar, well then your team mate gave me the wrong information back then. That is not my problem is it? And yes there was a P-51B part built into that aircraft.