Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th December 2012, 04:00

KrisJG3 is on a distinguished road
Question Ju188 D-2 from lake Mamry in Poland (sunk in 1945) - old story.

Dears,

Here is long story one Ju188 D-2 which emergency landed on the ice of lake Mamry in Poland in 1945. It was long time ago and wrack was cancelled !

"'...On the diving club in Gdansk - "Shark" I found extremely interesting for me (and I presume other explorers) information about the discovery dating back over 40 years:

"In the autumn 1961. Diving team" Shark "found on the bottom of the lake at a depth of 12m Mamry the twin-engine long-range aircraft Junkers intelligence" JU-188 D-2. "Six-five of our divers in 9-five days brought out on the shore near Węgorzewo complete plane. in the hull were two large photographic cameras and the latest German electronics with radar. In 9.10.1944r produced aircraft and landed in full on the surface of a frozen lake in January 1945. due to engine failure. " ..."'

Look photo galery Ju188 D-2 :
http://www.pg.gda.pl/org/rekin/Galer...afii.htm#JU188

Source of story (use Google translator from Polish into ....x) :
http://www.forum.eksploracja.pl/view...hp?f=45&t=1468

Sample of translation:
''...History sinking JU 188 is quite interesting and probably true. According to eye witnesses, the plane shot (in one of the engines) landed on the ice, the ice could not take the weight and the plane settled on the bottom, and at the airport. Germany had bad luck, just because they came down underwater lake bottom configuration as 30 - 40 m to the front was a depth of 2 - 3 m of 40 (??? -maybe 4) person crew reportedly survived one of the pilots who use the self-contained breathing apparatus and colleagues took the body completely demolished navigation array. According to witnesses, he was hiding in the area until 1947. ..."'

It was here - Lake Mamry near city Wegorzewo in Poland
http://maps.google.pl/maps?oe=utf-8&...ed=0CC8Q8gEwAA

Last edited by KrisJG3; 25th December 2012 at 16:50.
Old 25th December 2012, 12:44

Re: Ju188 D-2 lake Mamry in Poland (1945) - old story.

More info.:

"'...In late summer 1961. we visited the village of Kal Lake Mamry, zanurkowaliśmy and found an object that even breathtaking, at a depth of 12 m, on a flat bottom, lay a complete, powerful, twin-engine German aircraft. We raised him from the bottom and then broke sensation; plane was Ju -188 D2, machine, at that time a very modern, which is expected to serve in the Norwegian Kirkenes, which housed the German unit long interview. This in Kirkenes German aircraft took off in search of Allied convoys bound for Murmansk with supplies for the Red Army. We excavated the plane was flying to Italy, which was confirmed by our maps found in the cabin, but forcing him to land on the lake? He was in perfect condition, there were no signs of downing, or other disaster. Significant was the lack of remains of the crew, which made it possible to believe that there was an emergency landing after the crew left the machine. A closer examination of the Junkers Jumo engines brought the brand part of the solution history - one of them was the so-called "hoof" - cracked piston and connecting rod pierced the body, engine block - and turned off the motor locked him out of use. Although from what I know that each twin plane can continue to fly on one engine, but in this case, the crew decided otherwise. Each and every mining disaster, we try to explain the gathering descriptions, names, and situations - in this case, we found that all happened at the turn of 1944/45, the aircraft, equipped with modern radars and equipment to perform aerial photographs, flew from Norway to Italy and somewhere along the way there has been a failure. The crew apparently decided that it is better to remove it and landed on the frozen lake Mamry and then Masuria were still German. They left the plane and went for help, which, however, did not come quickly enough to forestall further occurrence. We do not know for sure, but probably under the weight of an aircraft weighing 16 tons of ice broke and Ju-188 D2 sank to the bottom. Later attempts to bring him - his body near the connection of the propellers was girdled with steel ropes - it is possible that it tried to raise the Germans, who were well aware that the defect is small, and the value of large aircraft - especially in the last year of the war. Mining has failed and only sixteen years later, for our case, the aircraft stood on dry ground. Unfortunately, his fate was sealed from the start, thanks to our principal, came to Skawina aluminum smelter that processed it for symbolic teaspoons milk bars. ...."'

Source:
http://www.wolf.pl/kacik_polawiacz.html

Can we try ID pilots and Werk Nr. ????
It can be interested because one of my collegues from Germany - uncel was KIA in this area (now we have contact only by email). He was pilot of bomber (Beobachter/Observer) so if I will know crew names I can ask about more information about his uncle - maybe he was one of them ? It is not joke but I can try.

Last edited by KrisJG3; 25th December 2012 at 20:59.
Old 25th December 2012, 17:56
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Ju188 D-2 from lake Mamry in Poland (sunk in 1945) - old story.

Yes, story is known, but unit was local one, not ferry from Norway,
Ju 188 D-2 W.Nr. 150520 of 4.(F)/14 code 5F+DM at 13:50 hrs 30.12.44

regards
Ed
Old 25th December 2012, 20:26

Khorat is on a distinguished road

Interesting story - I had 2 losses for the 4.(F)/A.Gr. 14 that day one damaged and the other one the 150520 (Notlandung Schwenzeitsee um 13.15 Uhr), but for this plane had 3 KIA - only the pilot survived. ??

khorat
Old 25th December 2012, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
Yes, story is known, but unit was local one, not ferry from Norway,
Ju 188 D-2 W.Nr. 150520 of 4.(F)/14 code 5F+DM at 13:50 hrs 30.12.44

regards
Ed

Thanks for answer ! - Do you know pilots/crew names and which one survived from crew ?

I see older links , You can also read and refresh subject:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archiv...hp?t-3256.html
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...?t=3256&page=3
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archiv...hp?t-3450.html

BR

Kris
Old 26th December 2012, 01:08
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Yes, 3 crew died, but pilot unknown.
Old 26th December 2012, 18:07

Dears Forum members,

Anybody knows crew of : Ju 188 D-2 W.Nr. 150520 of 4.(F)/14 code 5F+DM at 13:50 hrs 30.12.44 ?????

BR

Kris
Old 28th December 2012, 10:56

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough

Hello Kris,

No offense meant but are you a bit impatient, asking the same question (who were the crew members) for the 3rd time in 2 days ?

Here a lot of people celebrate Christmas and/or on holidays, so it might take a little more time before someone looks into his files to help you...

All the best, Marcel