Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd August 2005, 10:41

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Jagdfliegerverbände 9 / I

Gentlemen,

I am pleased to announce that Vol. 9/I of our series Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Luftwaffe is now available. This part covers the Winter War in Russia from December 6th, 1941 to the end of April 1942.

Struve's have done a very good job both with the b/w and with the colour photos; we have not " enhanced " the latter but have printed them just as the originals are, some of them very good, while others have either suffered from time or have always been too greenish or brownish owing to the film material available then. But see for yourself.

I have made a silly mistake while proofreading - I have checked the Anhang 3 - addendum 3 - which is a day-by-day list of the aerial activities in the Southern sector of the Russian front, but somehow it did not go to print and is therefoe missing in the book. It will come with Vol. 9/II, either printed and bound in there or as loose pages to be inserted into Vol 9/I at the appropriate place. I apologize for this mistake which is entirely my fault.

Jochen Prien
Old 2nd August 2005, 16:36

lritger will become famous soon enough
Re: Jagdfliegerverbände 9 / I

Herr Prien, would you mind contacting me off-board? I'm involved in a project which I would like to discuss with you... thanks very much!

email: the109lair at yahoo.com

Lynn
Old 2nd August 2005, 20:54

Pawel Burchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen Prien
I am pleased to announce that Vol. 9/I of our series Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Luftwaffe is now available. This part covers the Winter War in Russia from December 6th, 1941 to the end of April 1942.
And the volume including summer months of 1943 in the East, when it will be published approx.?

Kind regards,
Pawel
Old 2nd August 2005, 23:07

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

That will take time. If everything goes according to schedule, we will be able to bring out Vol. 10 - I and II -, dealing with home defense 1943, in the first half of 2006 with Vol. 11 - Operations n the Mediterrannean 1943 - to follow in the second half of 2006. This means that - at best - Vol. 12 - Operations in the East 1943 - can be expected not before 2007. We'll do our best.

Kind regards

Jochen Prien
Old 3rd August 2005, 17:13

Primoz

And do you know how many volumes will there be in the end? If I'm not mistaken you started it as a 12 volume project. Of course there's nothing wrong with it being much larger, more detailed, with lots of interesting photos ... I was just wondering ... I think it'll take several more years to complete this huge project (so please take good care of your health because some of us would like to buy all these good books right until the last one covering the last days of the Luftwaffe).

Unlike Franek, I believe it's OK to publish the color photos "as is", especially as you need some orientation or reference point if you want to remove the tint and this is much more delicate and trickier in case of photos depicting German aircraft (whereas British a/c had yellow/blue/white/red roundels which make corrections much easier and more plausible). But on the other hand it might be a good idea to make a special all-color book with old color photos shown both as they are now - in their more or less tinted condition - and with corrected colors.
Old 4th October 2005, 17:36

Falcon
Cool Re: Jagdfliegerverbände 9 / I

Correction

On page 228 the bottom photo, this Bf 109 looks for me more like a Bf 109 E as a Bf 109 F. Notice the spinner and the cowling.