Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 20th March 2005, 00:13

everard
98th and 180th Squadron RAF in WW II (crews from New Zealand/ Australië)

Dear,

my name is Everard Bakker and I am coming from the Netherlands. I am writing about a Dutch Royal Marines who served (together with 15 other Royal Dutch Marines) in WWII as a airgunner the Dutch 320 Squadron RAF. Mr Jonker is 88 years old and living in Bronbeek the house of Dutch Veterans in Arnhem.

The Dutch 320 squadron RAF made a lot of raids from the UK during WWII, together with the 98th and 180th / 226th and 342th Squadrons RAF.
Do you have more information about those squadrons?

I understand that a lot of the men from those squadrons came from New Zealand and Australië.

On the 25th Oct 1943 the Dutch 320 squadron flew together with the 98th squadron RAF on a raid to Lanveoc Poulmic/ Brest. Above Brest one Dutch Mitchell exploded and another one made a ditch in the sea.
(one Dutchmen is still missing).

The 98th squadron flew in the last two formations and have seen this tragedie before them. I am looking for veterans/ information about what they have seen!

Every information is warm welcome!

With kind regards,

Everard Bakker
Eemnes
Holland.
Old 20th March 2005, 17:15

Hans Nauta
Re: 98th and 180th Squadron RAF in WW II (crews from New Zealand/ Australië)

Dear Everard,

Please contact me off-board concerning footage of 320 and 98 Squadron. You may contact me by phone (inside cover Bulletin Air War)

Regards,
Hans Nauta