Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th September 2009, 00:01
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking photos of a/c flown by Hptm Wilhelm Makrocki Kdr I./ZG26 at time of RK Award 6.10.40

Hello,

As Part of the EOE Research Project I'm trying to locate photos of the Bf110 that would have been flown by Hptm. Wilhelm Makrocki, the Kdr. of I./ZG26 during the latter part of the Battle of Britain, and specifically at or near the time of his RK award on 6.10.40. He probably flew U8+AB, with a day fighter-style double chevron on the nose. I believe that I have a photo of the nose of his 110 earlier in the year, showing a green upper-surfaced Bf110, but my photo doesn't show a/c codes. Another very poor photo has been published of the starboard nose of his Bf110 with a 1940 mottled camouflage and the Gr. Kdr. chevron. However, neither provides any clues as to the appearance of the tail scoreboard for this a/c, which presumably reflected Makrocki's 9 victories in the West, and 9 more on the ground. I would also presume that Makrocki's RK a/c would have carried a white nose at that time, and almost certainly a thin white rear fuselage band, standard on I./ZG26 a/c during the BoB. I know of no unidentified Bf110 scoreboard photos that could or might be from Makrocki's RK period a/c. Can anyone be of help here?

He was killed on the Island of Crete in May, 1941.

Thanx,
Old 26th September 2009, 21:03
Alter Hase

Evgeny Velichko is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking photos of a/c flown by Hptm Wilhelm Makrocki Kdr I./ZG26 at time of RK Award 6.10.40

Larry

Look Your email, I've sent two photos.

P.S. He was killed when overpassed the explosion of AA Gun ammunition on the "Sywern" ship N of Crete. His a/c was badly damaged by explosion and immediatly crashed into sea, killing crew. I have a description of this actident (probably from british witnesses from ship).
Old 27th September 2009, 06:29
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking photos of a/c flown by Hptm Wilhelm Makrocki Kdr I./ZG26 at time of RK Award 6.10.40

Zhenya,

Thanks for the photos forwarded to my email. I already knew about the top photo, and, yes, this is probably the nose of Makrocki's aircraft described in my post. The other may show the same a/c or another one in the Balkans (yellow cowlings), but I still need a close-up photo of his scoreboard during the Battle of Britain for color profile artwork prior to the end of 1940.

Regards,