Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th November 2009, 11:44

Adlerhorst is on a distinguished road
Uffz. Fritz Hanusch, 8./JG54, 6./JG26

Hello, i've got a request from the daughter of Fritz Hanusch, who started a research regarding her father. He was downed first time 2nd August 1944 in the vicinity of St. Hilaire, flying a FW 190 A8 WNr. 680810 for 8./JG 54 saving himself by parachute. At 9th March 1945 he had a forced landing near Wesel with his FW 190 D9 flying for 6./JG 26 after combat with Spitfire and P47 (WIA).
I already send her scans from the two pages showing her fathers D9 at the wonderful JAPO book FW 190 D9 camouflage & markings Part I and saw that he got 3 victories in Prillers JG 26 book, but so far, that's all i was able to find out until now. Could anybody be of assistance ? Specially a photo of him would be great, but of course everything would be appreciated !
Thank you

Thomas
Old 28th August 2018, 11:08

Arno Dill is on a distinguished road
Re: Uffz. Fritz Hanusch, 8./JG54, 6./JG26

Some news informations coming from the new edition (2018) of Jean-Bernard Frappé La Luftwaffe face au débarquement 6juin - 31 août 1944. Publication about oktober 2018.

... Des recherches menées après la guerre permettront semble-t-il de retrouver le point de chute de son Focke Wulf vers La Chapelle-Janson, à cinq kilomètres à l’est de Fougères. Rapidement entouré par des habitants du village après s’être posé en parachute, ceux-ci rapporteront avoir eu à faire à un jeune homme arrogant et très vindicatif, qui, pistolet en main, se fera conduire, assis sur le capot d’une voiture, vers une grange du bourg où il passera la nuit avant d’être pris en charge par ses camarades du front. Ramené vers l’infirmerie du groupe pour des blessures légères, l’Unteroffizier Fritz Hanusch ne pourra suivre son groupe lors de son retrait vers l’Allemagne et sera finalement réaffecté le 20 août suivant à la II./JG 26 au sein de laquelle il continuera à intervenir dans le ciel de Normandie
puis dans celui de l’Allemagne.
Old 28th August 2018, 17:45
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Thomas,

The amazing "2nd TAF" by Shores and Thomas do have information regarding a 412 Squadron (who started patrolling Argentan-Alençon-Domfront-Flers area) pilot, F/O T. M. Saunderson, who claimed a Fw 190 west of Écouches (guess it was Écouché) around 14:30hs. The Squadron Leader and CO of the 412 Squdn formation was shot down around the same time by a Bf 109 G from I/JG 5.

Sole RAF claim (2nd TAF) for a Fw 190 recorded on the 2nd August 1944...
Old 28th August 2018, 17:50
Alter Hase

Regarding the 9th March 1945 claim and loss,

The book JG 26 War Diary - vol.2 by CALDWELL do have information that Uffz. Hanusch shot down a P-47 D Thunderbolt from 366th FG (391st F.S.) and was later shot down too, by one of the Americans. The combat took place at 2,000 meters (7,000 feet) south of Wesel and the Germans met head on the Americans. The II Gruppe pilots claimed 4 P-47 shot down (actually 2 were shot down behind enemy lines, one just managed to crash land at a forward base and 2 returned with severe damage), but lost 3 of their Fw 190 D-9.

Uffz Hanusch bailed out from his Fw 190 D-9, werknummer 210239, 3 (black) + south of Wesel, around 16:50hs, just after claiming his 3rd victory.

Adriano
Old 29th August 2018, 15:14

Jean-Yves Lorant is on a distinguished road

Hi Adriano,

In his JG 26-book Caldwell probably extrapolated Fritz Hanusch's parachute jump with the sole loss list of II./JG 26. In fact the injured pilot managed to put his plane in a field, as evidenced by this photo. An unmanned airplane can not arrive on the ground in this state. The second information delivered by this image is the solid color of the engine cowling, can be dark yellow. I examined the original photo closely, that's not engine oil. The colour artwork of this aircraft in JaPo-book and elsewhere are as false as the parachute jump hypothesis. Evidence by the photo, one more time.

Regards
Jean-Yves Lorant
Old 29th August 2018, 17:03
Alter Hase

focusfocus is on a distinguished road

Bonjour Mr.Lorant (vos livres sur le JG300...formidables!)

A plane without its pilot who poses himself alone "nicely",it happened,but it's still very,very rare!

The engine cowling all yellow ? at this time(mars 1945),it's really amazing,I'm doubtfully.

So,it seems that the I/JG5 has underestimated his claims(only one by Uffz.Schoppler)...particularly surprising,in general it was not the usual!!

Michel
Old 29th August 2018, 17:31
Alter Hase

Cher Jean-Yves Lorant,

WE ALL do thank you for masterly clarify the facts about the 9th March 1945 loss of Uffz. Hanusch.

Indeed, History can and must be re-written when new information and documents are available to testify a new theory or fact. You proved that!

Michel is right when from time to time a well trimmed and stable (no Wind, no turbulence) machine indeed happen to belly-land by itself...some 2 years ago, a Northrop F-5BR Tiger II suffered engine or multiple failures. The crew ejected over Santa Cruz Air Base and the machine belly landed smoothly by herself! Do not know though, if in WW2 similar cases ocurred...but, it may happen.

The colour around the cowling seems indeed yellow and are at 90º angle, which do support your theory and information that the engine cowling was fully Dark Yellow.

MICHEL, I do agree with you...the JG 300 books are a MASTERPIECE of History and Hard Work (25 years of Researches).

J-Y L could you contact me personally? I do have something to share with you.

By the way, MERCI for sharing this information with us and enhancing our knowledge and History.

baumgartner_asv@yahoo.com.br
Old 29th August 2018, 18:27

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough

Hello everyone,
While slightly off-topic, pilotless belly landings are not unheard off, nor that rare. Here’s one about a Mach-two fighter:
https://www.f-106deltadart.com/58078...ieldbomber.htm
Respectfully,
Steve Sheflin
Old 29th August 2018, 19:37
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Thank you. Steve. The Delta Dart was a beautiful design.

Ed
Old 30th August 2018, 12:02

Jean-Yves Lorant is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen
First of all, thank you very much for your comments concerning my chronicle of the JG 300, I remind you that the research work of my friend Richard Goyat was determining for the serious analysis of the aerial combats. I cannot thank him enough.
Let's go back to the parachute jump of a Fw 190 pilot. We have to compare what is really comparable and please forget the F-5 and and F-106 which are jets without the parasitic effects of single-engined propeller planes. Before using their ejection seat, the jet pilots carefully adjust their elevator trims. The fact that some have been able to hit with the ground without serious damage does not really surprise me, even if they are rare exceptions.
During the night “Blitz” at least two Luftwaffe bombers - whose crew members had bailed out - were able to fly more than fifty or hundred kilometers before landing without damage in England. The elevator trims were well adjusted so that the pilot could evacuate in good conditions.
At the end of the war, the Fw 190 pilots used a well-known bail-out procedure: They reduced power, released laryngophone and seat belts, detonated the explosive charge to jettison the canopy and then thrust the stick with a hard forward. The aircraft plunged to the ground with a strong negative acceleration and the pilot was torn from his seat. The plane was often spinning because of the engine's gyroscopic torque and other complex effects that I do not have the time or the words to describe here. It is out of question that a Fw 190 D-9 in this flight configuration may be able to return to horizontal flight without any “human help”. All the stories of parachute jumps gathered from the many interviews of german pilots confirm this fact.

In my mind Fritz Hanusch’s Dora-9 was really piloted until the end of the landing, which was certainly hard because one of the fuselage frames broke. I do not have the slightest idea of ​​the severity of the injuries sustained by this pilot during the fight. It is also possible that they are consecutive to this violent landing. Perhaps Fritz Hanusch's daughter could enlighten us on this point and I thank the initiator of this conversation very much in advance if he agrees to send her this request.
Sorry for my very bad English and best regards.

Dear Adriano, we are now in contact again!

Jean-Yves Lorant

Tags
fw 190, hanusch, jg 26, jg 54