Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th August 2018, 21:08

adler1 is on a distinguished road
the FW190 D9 JV44 slogans

HI,
I'm looking for the large slogans written on the fuselage below the cockpit hatch in german with their respective numbers and a plus would be the name of the pilot flying the aircraft .
cheers
Old 17th August 2018, 07:32

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road
Re: the FW190 D9 JV44 slogans

you can find profiles for several of them here -

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/456/2

Peter
Old 18th August 2018, 00:42
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
The Fw 190 D-9 JV 44 slogans

Hello

According to The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Dora Volume 2 by Jerry Crandall the known aircraft of the Sachsenberg Schwarm were:

Fw 190 D-9 "Red 1" (W.Nr. 600 424) flown by Leutnant Heinz Sachsenberg "Verkaaft's mei Gwand, I foahr in himmel!"
Fw 190 D-9 "Red 13" (W.Nr. 213 240) flown by Oberleutnant Klaus Faber "Rein Muss er, und wenn wir beide weinen!"
Fw 190 D-9 "Red 3" (W.Nr. 600 565) flown by Hauptmann Waldemar Wübke "Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn"
Fw 190 D-11 "Red 4" (W.Nr 170 933) [possible] flown by Leutnant Karl-Heinz Hofmann (possible) "Der nachste Herr dieselbe Dame!"

I hope this helps.

Leo
Old 18th August 2018, 02:46

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough

To add to Leo's list, here are a number of partial views of the fifth machine - Red 2 - an Fw 190 D-11 found at Bad Aibling in May 1945. It was probably associated with the Verband Flugzeugführerschule General der Jagdflieger (VFS GdJ), and if so would have originally been coded "White > 5_?" or "White > 6_?" per other known VFS GdJ D-11s.

There have been rumours that it had the slogan "Elephants Work the Landing Zone", or, "In with Sack and Flute". To date, no photo is known / published showing the port side cockpit area where this inscription (and crest) would be located. Hope springs eternal...

Cheers,

David
Old 18th August 2018, 03:28

Maciej Góralczyk is on a distinguished road

David, seems you forgot to attach something?

Regarding the slogan on 'Red 2', who knows what future brings...just recently we got a photo that gave a better look at the slogan on 'Red 3', revealing that the artwork differs here and there from how it had been depicted in various publications thus far.
Old 18th August 2018, 04:57

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
The FW190 D9 JV44 slogans

If I'm not mistaken all of these are humorous idioms. So a straight translation from German to English will make no sense whatsoever. Would anyone care to translate the meanings of these idioms into English--that is, tell us what they actually mean?

Bronc
Old 18th August 2018, 12:40

sidney is on a distinguished road

Let me try.

Fw 190 D-9 "Red 1" (W.Nr. 600 424) flown by Leutnant Heinz Sachsenberg "Verkaaft's mei Gwand, I foahr in himmel!" This I understand is written in slang. "Sell my stuff, for I travel to heaven!".

Fw 190 D-9 "Red 13" (W.Nr. 213 240) flown by Oberleutnant Klaus Faber "Rein Muss er, und wenn wir beide weinen!" This one I understand is having some carnal connotations. "In it must go, even if we both moan!"

Fw 190 D-9 "Red 3" (W.Nr. 600 565) flown by Hauptmann Waldemar Wübke "Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn" This one can be dated back to the year 1940. A number of interpretations. It might have been a reference to using fighter aircraft as fighter-bombers.

Fw 190 D-11 "Red 4" (W.Nr 170 933) [possible] flown by Leutnant Karl-Heinz Hofmann (possible) "Der nächste Herr, dieselbe Dame!" This one might also have some carnal connotations. "The next man, the same lady!"

Other members may correct me on any of the above if necessary.

Regards,
Sinisa
Old 18th August 2018, 13:51
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

"Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn" was, as far as I know, a standard/officlal phrase for "On State Railways Business". Either Galland's or Steinhoff's book — can't remember which — claimed that it was because Wübke had been shot down a number of times in his career and returned to his unit by train.
Old 18th August 2018, 14:21

Horst Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
"Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn" was, as far as I know, a standard/officlal phrase for "On State Railways Business". Either Galland's or Steinhoff's book — can't remember which — claimed that it was because Wübke had been shot down a number of times in his career and returned to his unit by train.
In the first decades of the 20th century, the German rail net became a state-own (Staatseigentum) status. This Organisation had the name "Reichsbahn" as well as the German mail was the "Reichspost".

By a well working economy, sometimes originated transportation to the Reichsbahn were given to private transportation companies, which then delivered the goods "Im Auftrag der Reichsbahn". This was in a kind joked by the phrases without any political meaning. It just sounds good.

Horst Weber
Old 18th August 2018, 19:47

Jerry Crandall

Greetings,
I'm working on new updates on JV 44 Doras and have discovered the pilot of "Red 2", the D-11 found at Bad Aibling. More on this later.

Regarding Hptm. Waldemar Wübke's slogan on "Red 3"; the meaning of "By Order of the State Railway" refers to his sarcastic criticism of flying Jabo missions when he was assigned to 9./JG 54. In his mind he was a fighter pilot not a bomber pilot. This slogan was labeled on railroad cars that transported bombs. This was verified by Hans Ekkehard-Bob who was a close friend of Wübke's.
Cheers, Jerry