Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd February 2017, 06:36

mwelsh is on a distinguished road
Help with Identifying a unit

Good evening everyone! I just joined to see if maybe this group would have some insight or help in doing some research for my grandfather.

My grandfather is still alive, he was a Halifax bomber pilot in ww2. 39 missions and they all made it out alive.

On June 2nd 1944 he was detailed to attack the Trappes railway yards near Paris. After bombing the target they were attacked by a FW-190 and as he puts it "with some shifty flying and gunning we shot him down at 15,000 feet, and saw him hit the ground"

For this action he was awarded the DFC.

I would really like to find out what unit would have been there that night. Ideally to find out perhaps the plane and pilot as unrealistic as that may be.

I'm not too sure where to start in my search. I would greatly appreciate any leads or help you gents can provide!

I have my grandads uniforms here and would like to add the correct uniform of the German pilot in question for the luftwaffe portion of my collection.

Cheers, McLean
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:02
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Help with Identifying a unit

The Trappes raid was if I am not much mistaken the night of 2-3 Jun 44. RAF bombers claimed two Bf 109s, a Fw 190 and an Me 210 but I am afraid to say, German records state that there were no German single seat claims that night and no Luftwaffe night fighter losses at all, single or twin-engined. That is not to say that your Grandfather did not deserve being awarded the DFC
Old 3rd February 2017, 20:20

mwelsh is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info! Strange I wonder why there wouldn't be any recorded ?

Do you know which unit it was who was flying fighters that night ?
Old 4th February 2017, 00:33
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I guess there were none recorded as only twin-engined units made claims that night & there were a number of units involved. I'm away at the moment so perhaps someone else can give you the details.
Old 4th February 2017, 11:59
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

McLean

It seems two German units were involved specifically with the Trappes raid, NJG 4 and NJG 5.

Looking at the claims, we have 1./NJG 4, Stab II./NJG 4, 4./NJG 4, 6./NJG 4, Stab I./NJG 5, 1./NJG 5, 2./NJG 5, Stab II./NJG 5.

Trying to locate any official losses proved negative and just like Chris stated, there were no recorded Luftwaffe losses.

B Rgds
Stig