Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 5th July 2007, 20:23

DanCast is on a distinguished road
Russian Hawker Hurricane Two Seat Trainer or Observer

Hi fellows

Anyone have more information or pics from this aircrafts ?, i know that was a field mod, used for training and used to correct artilery fire, the second variant have a rear gun instaled, i found some profiles but none pic, if anyone have more info and some ideia of how is the second cockpit i will be very gratefull, thx for all

[]´s

Daniel
Old 6th July 2007, 01:59

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Re: Russian Hawker Hurricane Two Seat Trainer or Observer

The following is an extract from the superb book "Hurricane, The War Exploits of the Fighter Aircraft"; by Adrian Stewart.

"Iran ordered a two-seat trainer. Since Hawker had prepared drawings of such a version for the RAF back in 1940 - though the project never materialised - work was quickly put in hand on a IIC, KZ232, which was first flown in it's new form by test pilot Bill Humble on 27th September, 1946. The second cockpit was incorporated immediately behind the existing one, thereby necessiating little modification to the basic structure. Both cockpits were left uncovered at first, the front position being shielded by a windscreen and frame, the rear one only by a simple transparent fairing.Tests, however, showed the letter to be uncomfortably draughty, so a sliding hood, adapted from that in use on the Tempest, was provided, before the aircraft, now N02-31, was delivered to the Persian Air Force in 1947. It's Merlin 22 gave it a top speed of 320mph; service ceiling was 26,000ft. This was the last major adaptation of the Hurricane, though passing mention may be made of Z3687, a II which was tested at Farnborough during 1946/7, with a special Armstrong-Whitworth laminar-flow wing of reduced thickness, designed to lesson drag."

In the book Stewart does make mention of the Russians converting several of the 3,000 odd Hurricanes sent to Russia into two seat trainers. But no further details are provided.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:32

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
There are at last one good photo of this spotter Hurricane, it was for example printed in my book Hurricane in Foreign Service (2001) + color side done to it too (see: p. 44 photo + front cover). The same photo is in C-F. Geust, Red Stars 4 (about Lend-Lease aircrafts in VVS RKKA/KA) printed a few years later (2004 or so?)
Second I have also printed, in the same book, the next photo of duble-siter with radar instalation (taken from 1945/46).

The Hurricane spotter version was made in some 20 aircrafts, and was used in combat.
In my book you may find more data (+ about 30 b&w photos of Soviet Hurricanes) about use of Hurricanes in Russia 1941-45.
The modification was done in the state workshop not in the unit ect.

Second. Soviet had dane also modification for training as a duble-siter trainer version (I do not see photos, but one color drawing is also done in my book too).

The modificatio for radar instalation is also duble-siter, made after the war.

Regards,
Mirek Wawrzyński
Old 6th July 2007, 13:23

Matzos is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found these two images.
Old 7th July 2007, 17:08

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I confirm that color side and description is taken from my book "Hurricane w obcej służbie/Hurricane in Foreign Service" (Ajaks, Warsaw 2001). The photo of this plane is also in my book.

Second is the photo of Iran or Iraq Hurricane from 1945-46. After the war.

Regards,
Mirek Wawrzynski