Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 27th January 2010, 15:13

Walter D. Leach is on a distinguished road
Re: USN pilot losses

I may have some data on the January BFNC-1 plane that crashed, contained in the 108 page board of inquiry report relatede to my father's acciden. If I can find it, I will send it to you. Thanks for your response to my earlier post. Walter D. Leach III
Old 27th January 2010, 20:58

alex crawford

Hi Walter,

Many thanks for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to post it here.

As Paul mentioned it is quite common to find info on aircraft losses but no mention of the crew names. Or details of crew losses but nothing on the aircraft involved.

Any further info you find would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alex
Old 27th January 2010, 21:39

Walter D. Leach is on a distinguished road

I have done a short search of the Board of Inquiry (BOI) that I have, but have not yet found the name of the pilot in the January, 1935 BF2C-1 accident in Norfolk.
My BOI report is voluminous in its indictment of BUNAV and Adm. King for not responding to 6 specific reports of problems with engine vibration at certain RPMs and of fraying of wires for the wing structure that were dictated by changes to install the retactable landing gear. All this resulted in grounding of the entire fleet of BF2C-1 aircraft. It is truly tragic that it takes the life of a young outstanding pilot to wake people up to what was generally known about the aircraft.
If I find the other pilot's name, I will pass it along.
Old 27th January 2010, 23:04

alex crawford

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the additional info. I understand that the vibration was solved in part by fitting the aircraft with wooden wings. The resulting aircraft was sold to a number of foreign air forces as the Hawk III.

Alex
Old 28th January 2010, 00:24
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

The pilot for 29 Jan 1935 has already been posted here

29/1/35: Lt (jg) Robert C. Haven