Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd January 2008, 14:57

Mikkel Plannthin
Another JG51 victories question

I did not want to "intrude" on the other very active JG51 victories thread, but here is another angle on the matter:

Danish Luftwaffe pilot Peter Horn is often cited (e.g. Aders/Held, Neulen) to have had 10+ victories and being attached to 1./JG51. Checking Tony Woods lists Combat Claims & Casualties Lists I can trace only one of the listed victories to JG51:

"1944-09-19 Gefr. Horn, 9./JG51, Pe-2, 27 615: 3000m, 15.34, C. 2035/II"

I would be interested in any information on the origins of the "10+" information given in various secondary sources.

TIA
Mikkel Plannthin
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:02
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Another JG51 victories question

There are a lot holes in the JG 51 data Tony transcribed, not due to any fault of Tony, but the docs he was working from. The work of Dr. Prien and his group have been filling in a lot of holes, unfortunately we have a to wait for the 44 stuff.
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:47

Mikkel Plannthin

Thanks Jim,
My posting should not be seen as a critique of the lists availabe - or the people who has been generous enough to provide access to these information for free.

Quite the contrary. The access to these lists in itself is the very reason that I able able to pose the question regarding the information.

My guess is that he was operational in JG51 from appr. mid-1942, cf.
http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profil...alpha=h&id=160

Mikkel
Old 23rd January 2008, 01:56
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

Mikkel,
I looked in Dr Prien's teil 6/I, 9/I and 9/II for him and didn't see any claims so maybe he started after 03Feb43 with JG51.