Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 10th December 2019, 15:35
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 17 year old Me163 pilot

Why not? I just read the memoirs of Augustus Agar, who joined the Royal Navy as a midshipsman at 15.
Old 10th December 2019, 15:57
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Why not? I just read the memoirs of Augustus Agar, who joined the Royal Navy as a midshipsman at 15.
Not quite the same thing.

The rookies out of flight school could just barely fly the regular combat aircraft within Luftwaffe by 1945.

To put someone with such low flight hours in an aircraft such as the Me 163, which indeed was quite a handful, would in my mind be closer to suicide than anything else. Certainly a complete waste of assets.

B Rgds
Stig
Old 10th December 2019, 18:05

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

Many did glides in the Komet, far fewer did powered flights. An old friend of my dad's, Gerhard Class, told me that due to the shortage of fuel and the inherent danger of getting blown up, sharp starts were strictly limited. I am not surprised that teenagers were gliding in the Komet, as the tradition of glider training pre-Luftwaffe was very old and strong in Germany.
Old 11th December 2019, 09:29
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
Many did glides in the Komet, far fewer did powered flights. An old friend of my dad's, Gerhard Class, told me that due to the shortage of fuel and the inherent danger of getting blown up, sharp starts were strictly limited. I am not surprised that teenagers were gliding in the Komet, as the tradition of glider training pre-Luftwaffe was very old and strong in Germany.
Yes, you have to start somewhere.

However gliding the Me 163 was also quite a handful, especially for 17 year old kids. In my opinion you needed experience to handle the Me 163 regardless if it was used sharp or "only" as a glider. No way you took on the Me 163 coming out of some kind of prep gliding school or even A/B Schulen.

I need far better proof to believe that. Feel free to talk me through one such youngster's training. How many flight hours etc on each type. How man solo flights/hours made and not least how many hours gliding around in the 163.

Cheers
Stig
Old 11th December 2019, 17:58

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

You're quite right, no doubt this thing was difficult under all circumstances. If you read Hanna Reitsch's memoirs, she talks about how difficult it was, and she was a very experienced glider pilot.