Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 24th August 2019, 13:25

superbee is on a distinguished road
Re: Forgotten Heroes - Aces of the Royal Hungarian Air Force in WWII (second revised, expanded edition)

Just picked up a copy,Fantastic book!

Cheap copies here:

https://www.naval-military-press.com...ond-world-war/
Old 24th August 2019, 17:56
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Forgotten Heroes - Aces of the Royal Hungarian Air Force in WWII (second revised, expanded edition)

I suspect that Csaba is not going to see much in the way of royalties from these copies sold for 20 pounds. If I had to make a guess Helion dropped sufficient copies on Naval & Military Press, probably at 10 pounds each, so as to cover Helion's publishing costs. Csaba will be lucky to make one pound on these copies. Whereas copies sold to bookstores at a standard discount of 40 or 50% should get him 10% of the cover price, or 6 pounds. Amazon probably extracted a 60% discount or better from Helion. And since the book just came out he won't see a royalty statement until next January or so.

Don't expect to recover your costs, or time, when writing aviation history.

Sadly.

Frank.
Old 24th August 2019, 19:56
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

You're absolutely right, Frank. I also see very little royalty from Helion (and other publishers) for my books published with them.
My goal is to eventually break even - without counting the endless hours spent on working on the manuscript. I rarely match this goal.
Old 24th August 2019, 20:39
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Just to add to what Frank says, it’s common to get 10% of the price the publisher receives, rather than of the (much higher) cover price. In practice an author will usually get, in effect, about 5% of the shop price.
Old 2nd September 2019, 20:35

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point
Pride and glory to the authors and that's all

In Poland, it's similar in this topic. Everyone writes for sheer glory, pride, joy, and the money is actually none. Certainly the money does not cover the relative costs of work that you have to put into writing the book.

Pride and glory to the authors and that's all...

Regards
mirekw
Old 2nd September 2019, 21:50

AMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád View Post
You're absolutely right, Frank. I also see very little royalty from Helion (and other publishers) for my books published with them.
My goal is to eventually break even - without counting the endless hours spent on working on the manuscript. I rarely match this goal.
We enthusiasts are so lucky to have authors such as yourself to help fill our libraries (big or small) while expecting little or no recompense, except perhaps the very great pleasure of seeing ones work available out there for our, and future generations.
Bravo...
Old 4th September 2019, 08:42
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC View Post
We enthusiasts are so lucky to have authors such as yourself to help fill our libraries (big or small) while expecting little or no recompense, except perhaps the very great pleasure of seeing ones work available out there for our, and future generations.
Bravo...
That's exactly why we write such "niche" books (by using a modern word). For readers like you. And for the posterity.
Old 1st December 2019, 10:57

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Olynyk View Post
I suspect that Csaba is not going to see much in the way of royalties from these copies sold for 20 pounds. If I had to make a guess Helion dropped sufficient copies on Naval & Military Press, probably at 10 pounds each, so as to cover Helion's publishing costs. Csaba will be lucky to make one pound on these copies. Whereas copies sold to bookstores at a standard discount of 40 or 50% should get him 10% of the cover price, or 6 pounds. Amazon probably extracted a 60% discount or better from Helion. And since the book just came out he won't see a royalty statement until next January or so.

Don't expect to recover your costs, or time, when writing aviation history.

Sadly.

Frank.
I had an offer with significant royalties on this manuscript for the English edition (which is an updated one of the 2016 Hungarian edition), but that publisher is - I must say - very incompetent in the distribution, so for most of the people interested in this topic, the book would have been inaccessible through them. So I choose the Helion to make it accessibe to anyone and gave up the royalty. But considering the unbelievable efforts behind this project, the time and money spent in the last two and a half decades, any royalty would have been just symbolical, because it is impossible to compensate my efforts in this way.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:57
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL.

For those who missed the opportunity first time round, you've got just over 1 day left to pick up a copy of Csaba's "Magnum Opus". Forgotten Heroes for GBP 20.00 + P&P.

https://www.naval-military-press.com...ond-world-war/

Col.
Old 2nd January 2020, 13:30

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road

Gents,

If you know any printed reviews and citations related to this book, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Tags
aces, forgotten heroes, rhaf, royal hungarian air force