Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd December 2017, 23:54

Peter
Leistungsbuch?

I came across a Leistungsbuch and I have never seen one before, didn’t even know that such books existed. Wherpass and Flugbuch I know about but can someone help me out of the function of the Leistungsbuch? I can see that it has been filled in with the same pencil covering quite a period in time, several years so it doesn’t looks like it has been updated daily. Was it the owner who filled it in for his own sake? Did it have any formal function? Was it populated with mission information? Any information is much appreciated, also if it has a value.

Mary Christmas!
Peter
Old 24th December 2017, 12:09

lilsis is on a distinguished road
Re: Leistungsbuch?

hello

do you mean a NSFK Leistungsbuch? NSFK follow up in 04/1937 to DLV (Deutscher Luftsprotverband)
Old 24th December 2017, 12:19
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

There are also Leistungsbücher of operational Lw pilots. It simply lists the Feindflüge only and the results achieved. I have a few LB and they in general give more data on the missions than the FB.

The value in general depends on how mich flights and data is listed and to whom it belonged.

Cheers,

John
Old 24th December 2017, 12:46
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Manrho View Post
There are also Leistungsbücher of operational Lw pilots. It simply lists the Feindflüge only and the results achieved. I have a few LB and they in general give more data on the missions than the FB.

The value in general depends on how mich flights and data is listed and to whom it belonged.

Cheers,

John
I saw one owned by an NSG veteran. It had the usual Flugbuch details but also listed the bombs carried on each mission, for example — so the data is very useful.
Old 25th December 2017, 13:23

Peter

Thank you Nick, John and Lilsis,

Learnigng more and more about Leistungbuchs. I have found some examples on the net as well now.

The one I spoted seems to be for a leutnant or oberleutnant, Beobacher that served with KG27 and KG4, I'll try to find out more.

Peter
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:26

Siko54 is on a distinguished road

These seem rare as hens teeth, has anyone else got one?

I’ve got just the one original (and a a few scans of another pilots Flugbuch I own) to a JU188 pilot I have the Flugbuch to. It’s absolutely fascinating and details on routes, bombloads and enemy opposition is priceless. I collect Flugbuch and I can’t remember another Luftwaffe Leistungsbuch coming up for sale - I’d have thought there would be just as many of them as Flugbuch but no, very odd and I wonder why?
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:03
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I rarely see them but copies do turn up. Originals are quite rare.

Best,
Ed
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:06

Yes you’re right Ed - few on Ebay and the odd one for sale as part of bigger document collections. But they do seem very rare and I’m not sure why - to me they are way more interesting and valuable than a Flugbuch. It does seem that many aircrew never had or owned their leistungsbuch - I wonder if they were filled in by clerks and kept at HQ?
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:40

MW Giles is on a distinguished road

It must come down to what is required by the regulations and what the minimum recording requirements were. I am guessing that the Flugbuch is the minimum

Why keep two books with the same data, or why fill in more data than the regs require, unless you have the sort of personality that likes keeping records.

The only time that I could see that the extra detail would be useful at an operational level would be if you operated regularly on detachment and when you came back to the main unit you had to report what you had done in detail covering several ops

Just a thought

Martin
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:58

I think you’re probably right about the Flugbuch being the minimum Martin. Interestingly though, the two Flugbuch I have a Leistungsbuch for, have most of the interesting Leistungsbuch detail also recorded in the Flugbuch too. I’m not sure why but maybe they didn’t have much access to the L-buch often as it was held and completed elsewhere by a third party (sorry I know I’m repeating myself!).