Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 21st January 2005, 17:13

Magnus
Electrically fired ammunition for MG151,operation?

Hi!

Reading about the Kawaski Ki61 there was a statement that they got MG151s installed,these being delivered by a German sub.
"The submarine also brought 800 Mauser MG151 cannon, which were fitted to the early Ki-61s despite the unreliable supply of electrically-fired ammunition for this weapon"

How does electically-fired ammunition work?

Regards/Magnus
Old 21st January 2005, 22:18
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Hello, electric primers were ignited by passing an electric current through them.
Old 21st January 2005, 23:50

Tony Williams
To add a little information; the cartridges were exactly the same except for the primer. You can tell the difference because the primer has an inner, insulating ring. Electric and percussion primers were not interchangeable between guns. The key advantage of electric priming is that it is more precise, so better suited to being synchronised to fire through the propeller disc. Only Germany produced electric-primed aircraft guns in WW2, although they are common now.

The MG 151 was the only WW2 aircraft gun which was simultaneously available in electric and percussion versions in the same air force (although the cartridges for the MK 101 and MK 103 guns were identical except for the priming; the MK 103 was electric). The electric version of the MG 151 was only used on the FW 190 family as far as I know, the rest used percussion. I don't know why the Japanese had the electric one as the Ki 61 guns weren't synchronised.

PS I should add that although the German MG 131 was electric primed, the Japanese version of it - the Navy 13mm Type 2 - used percussion priming.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum
Old 22nd January 2005, 00:11

Magnus
Thanks,I got some

questions about the operation of this gun.
I´m familiar with the "ordinary" ways of bolts,gas pressure and so on but how does this electric thing work.
How is the mechanism that is the equivalent to the striker of an ordinary bolt configured?
I don´t understand how the mechanism works because of the movements of the breech and loading mechanisms.
That current must be really powerful to cook uf a round so that there are no microsecond delays,or were they using a special heat-sensitive primer?

While on the subject on German guns,which types were used post world war2,did the Mg 151s find their way into NATO or other countries?
The ADEN was developed from the MG108,I have heard but what about all the other flak or aircraft guns developed by Germany?

Regards/Magnus
Old 22nd January 2005, 00:41
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Hello
IIRC the current don't have to be very powerful, one can ignite an electric detonator with normal batteries.
Old 22nd January 2005, 02:23

George Hopp
The Aden gun

I think you will find that the Aden gun was developed from the MG 213, not the MK 108.
George
Old 22nd January 2005, 02:25

George Hopp
Developing the Aden gun

Oooops, that should have been the MK 213, not the MG 213, as the Aden is 30mm, and not 20mm.
George
Old 22nd January 2005, 08:53

Tony Williams
Re: Thanks,I got some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
How is the mechanism that is the equivalent to the striker of an ordinary bolt configured?
I don´t understand how the mechanism works because of the movements of the breech and loading mechanisms.
The mechanism is almost exactly the same. The only difference is in the striker - instead of hitting the percussion cap a heavy blow, it strikes it more gently and is wired up so that the contact completes an electrical circuit and ignites the primer.

There was some use of German-made guns in various countries after WW2. The one survivor is the MG 151/20. It was used by France as a helicopter gun into the 1970s (it is small and light for a 20mm) and is still made in South Africa, as the Vektor GA-1. This one is percussion primed, however.

George is correct that the Mauser MK 213 was the basis for all revolver cannon developed since, including the Aden, DEFA/GIAT, Oerlikon KCA, US M39 and Mauser BK 27. Lots of info in the 'Flying Guns' book series - details on my website

Old 22nd January 2005, 10:31
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Williams
I don't know why the Japanese had the electric one as the Ki 61 guns weren't synchronised.

PS I should add that although the German MG 131 was electric primed, the Japanese version of it - the Navy 13mm Type 2 - used percussion priming.
IIRC the main reason was that Japanese equipment had to operate under generally humid / tropical conditions and they couldn't solve the problems that arose from that. Percussion priming didn't pose any difficulties.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 22nd January 2005, 10:46

Tony Williams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruy Horta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Williams
I don't know why the Japanese had the electric one as the Ki 61 guns weren't synchronised.

IIRC the main reason was that Japanese equipment had to operate under generally humid / tropical conditions and they couldn't solve the problems that arose from that. Percussion priming didn't pose any difficulties.
That ties in with my info also.