Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th May 2012, 09:20
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking pre-war info on Lt. Helmut Woltersdorf of I./ZG76 & NJG1

Hello,

We're trying to confirm some info on the person below, who is listed in the de Zeng/Stankey Officer's Bio list as:

WOLTERSDORF, Helmut. (DKG). 09.39 in 2./ZG 76. 05.41 with 4./NJG 1. 08.41 Oblt., appt Staka 7./NJG 1 (to 02.06.42 KIA). (n.d.) in 1./NJG 1. 18.05.42 Oblt. in 7./NJG 1, awarded the DKG. 02.06.42 KIA when he crashed into a row of parked aircraft on landing at Twente after being shot-up in aerial combat. Credited with 22 victories.

What we think is a photo of his I./ZG76 Bf110C displaying several victories on the fin and with a row of flags under the cockpit of the countries that the pilot flew in/against. The first is the Czech flag. I'm trying to confirm that he flew in that incident, which presumably refers to the Sudatenland Crises of 1938. His personnel records are not on file at the BAMA, so we need some other source to confirm his pre-war activities.

Can anyone help?

Regards,
Old 17th May 2012, 11:36
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Seeking pre-war info on Lt. Helmut Woltersdorf of I./ZG76 & NJG1

Kettling was involved with the 1938 'crisis' but not with I/ZG 76 (or whatever that unit was before). I will have a look in Kettlings logbook when I am next home (Monday) to see if there are any clues. By the way, Woltersdorf was shot down on final approach at Twente by a Hurricane of 3 Sqn-I wrote about this a year or so ago
Old 17th May 2012, 18:03
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Chris,

Thanx. This is one of our profile a/c, and the story of the plane and pilot (in brief form) will be published with each profile. Looking forward to your opinion about whether there is hard evidence for W. participating in the Czech crises.

Regards,

Larry
Old 21st May 2012, 18:42
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Sorry Larry-nothing