Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 16th September 2013, 18:54
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Weser Flugzeugbau

Here's the translated description:

http://translate.google.com/translat...en-US:official

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 18th September 2013, 23:13

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough
Re: Weser Flugzeugbau

Potentially very interesting and I'll probably buy a copy although the author's recent book on Focke-Wulf was a real curate's egg.
Old 22nd September 2013, 00:44
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Steve

With the risk of being considered rather dim, I must confess I have never heard about the expression curate's egg. Your phrasing indicates that the book was not your favorite for breakfast and you probably would have prefered a more hearty egg and bacon style of book.

I don't have Thiel's Fw book, so perhaps you could expand on that title, and perhaps better still explain exactly what is ment with curate's egg since I have to confess I am rather curious...

Cheers
Stig

PS: I also note that Thiel seems to write about Bremens past and also a lot more about shipping than about aviation.
Old 22nd September 2013, 00:56

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

Stig

Yes, sorry this is a very English phrase. It means something which is good in parts (and obviously not so good in others).

As you rightly say Thiel appears to be a Bremen historian rather than an aviation historian. For this reason, the Focke-Wulf book does not really read as an aviation enthusiast would want it to. No mention of Werk Nummern, so on and so forth but there are some interesting bits and pieces. My bottom line is that the book could have been so much more.

Steve
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:30
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Seriously off-topic: "curate's egg derives from a 100 year-old cartoon" ... http://www.weeklystorybook.com/.a/6a...efeb970c-800wi
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:56
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Indeed Nick (and thanks Steve)

But very interesting never the less. Also confess I had to look up what a curate was, and with your illustration it suddenly made perfect sense combined with Steve's explanation.

Curate's egg, hmm, wonder when I can use that to sound extra British next time....

Cheers
Stig