Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd December 2007, 02:50
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Soviet Units bombing Berislav´s bridge ( 1st Sept 41 - around 06th Sept 41 )

Good night to all.
I was just re-reading the book of Paul Carell "Hitler Moves East 1941-43" and discovered a small passage dealing with Aviation. It seems that between the 1st September 1941 and the following week, JG 51 obtained 77 air-victories over Berislav´s bridgehead ( from where units of 11th Army Group passed ). The A-A batteries claimed another 14 Soviet aircraft that tried and managed to sink a lot of pontoons ( killing many very specialized sappers on the process ).
I have checked Tom Wood´s Claims ( Yes, I do know they are not 100% perfect, but this is a start.. ) and found many DB-3, R-3, V-11, I-16 and I-15 being shot down by JG 51 around Platz Sechtschinskaja.
I would like to know how many Russian Aircraft were lost trying to bomb the German bridgehead? Which were the Russian Units involved ( particularly on the mission of 1st September )? Does someone have information on pilot´s names or Russian Official list of losses between 1st and 8th September? To Which Russian Air Fleet those units were attached? ( I beg your pardon but I do really not know about the Russian Air Force system, units and History. This is why I am asking here. This kind of information took years to come to the West. Only now - the past 10 years - we can see books dealing with Russian Air Force during WW2 in English and other languages...available to people around the world thanks to the Internt system ).
Could someone suggest further reading on this particular subject - the bridge attack? Did the JG 51 overclaim ( 77 kills )?
Thanks for any clues or piece of information about that combat
Yours
Adriano