Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 16th December 2011, 08:26
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
P-47 Instrument Panel - How to determine if original?

Hi!

I recently picked up a complete P-47 Instrument Panel from a veteran's estate. It was possibly an NOS panel that had the instruments installed over time (no original air connections or lines on the instruments).

The rear is painted the typical "green" cockpit color, and is fairly uneven and appears to be old (shows patina and age). The front appears to be a post-war black paint job.

It came with an NOS P-47 windscreen...so I guess my question is, how can I tell if the panel itself is original or a repro? I can't find ANY place in the US that makes repro panels, and the quality of this is excellent. But, I can't see any part numbers. Were they numbered? If so, where should I look?

Also, the screws used to install most of the instruments are not the slotted type, but rather a Phillips "star" type. Is that correct?

and laaaasssssst question...

It is missing the Altimeter Correction card on the left side of the panel. Does anyone have any idea what it said?

Sorry guys, I know the German stuff like nobody's business...but the US stuff I am a noob!

TIA

Mike
Old 16th December 2011, 22:59
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road
Re: P-47 Instrument Panel - How to determine if original?

It might help if you posted a pic.

If it was installed in an aircraft it should have a Radio Call tag with the aircraft # riveted to the panel. It would also most likely look used, abused, general wear and tear.
The missing correction card would be for the compass.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by Revi16; 2nd January 2019 at 16:00.
Old 17th December 2011, 00:07
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road

Hey!

Thanks for the reply.

Okey dokey...it does have a radio call tag, but it is glued on, as opposed to rivetted. Actually, all the labels are an engraved plastic, so thoughts are the labels are all repro.

If the panel was an unfilled NOS (no instruments), would it still have the radio call tag?

mike
Old 19th December 2011, 21:22
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road

If you are the one trying to sell this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-USAAF-Co...item35b7e5e25e

It's most likely a reproduction.