Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 6th October 2005, 15:38

Franz von Werra is on a distinguished road
Re: Defected Allied Pilots?

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2003/goodall060903.htm
This article mentions that six RAF pilots (including 2 Americans) flew with the Luftwaffe on the Eastern Front. They were allowed to keep their British uniforms in case of shootdown behind enemy lines. No more info.
They may have been recruited while serving as POWs.

And the discoverers of Preucil's story think that he might have had a sort of "mastermind" in the RAF - a fellow spy whose identity lies in classified files...
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...977780,00.html
Old 6th October 2005, 18:07

robert_schulte is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally found an article about Augustin Preucil in an old issue of aeroplane monthly (June 2003), where his "career" in the RAFVR is laid down.
One question arises however. Why did the Czechs already knew him as a traitor soon after the war and executed him in 1947, whereas the "British" side of the story seems to be known only since a couple of years, especially as Preucil pretented to be married to a Scottish woman? I guess there must have been inquiries from Czechoslovakia to British officials.

Last edited by robert_schulte; 6th October 2005 at 18:09.
Old 6th October 2005, 18:19

Michal

I am not sure when role of Přeučil was decovered but some of Czechoslovakian pilots shot down over German held territory and became POWs met him during interogations by Gestapo clerk to whom Přeučil assisted. So, I guess some evidence that Přeučil is traitor could be known before end of WW2.

As far as I know British investigators interogated Přeučil shortly after war when he could to know more about Gestopo participation in killing of escaped Allied flyers from Stalag Luft III in Sagan (Zagan). Some of escaping flyers were caught by Prague Gestapo and Přeučil assisted during interogation. And during war Czechoslovak Inteligence shared knowledges to British one.
Old 7th October 2005, 22:43
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Martin

Reference your enquiry regarding my future writing projects:

Currently the proposed THE STORM BEFORE THE BLITZ and TALLY HO! have merged; I am still working on this. FIGHTERS OVER DARWIN should have appeared this year but I was asked by my publisher to bring forward SPITFIRES OVER MALTA to coincide with the Malta spectacular held two weeks ago, which I attended. A wonderful experience.

Hopefully DARWIN will now appear within the next two years, as my main book for 2006 will be DIVER! DIVER! DIVER! - an account of fighter pilots against the V-1 flying bomb assault on the UK in 1944; Forum member Chris Goss has been assisting me with certain aspects of the V-1 campaign. WITH THE YANKS IN KOREA Volume 2 is almost ready but is being constantly updated as new material emerges from the former Soiviet Union. Possibly 2006/2007 publication. THE SIX-DAY WAR IN THE AIR is in its early stages although all three authors are working on their respective contributions. As you will imagine, this programme does not leave much spare time! A labour of love, though, which is the name of our game

I am obviously delighted that you have so many of my books, Martin - now's the time for criticism! Fire away!
Old 8th October 2005, 02:43

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo Brian,

Thanks for that information. I am particularly looking forward to THE STORM BEFORE THE BLITZ and Vol. 2 of WITH THE YANKS IN KOREA.

Keep up the good work !

Martin Gleeson.
Old 8th October 2005, 20:41
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello Franz,

Pity that Mr Goodall didn't give the source from which he got the info re the six RAF pilots and two Americansexcept the source of the "story".

From the other leads given in the thread there seem only to have been at most seven or eight Allied servicemen, British 9 I dont recal American's being mentioned) that went to the eastern front, then only about two or three actually saw the Russians, while assisting News Reporters or such.

They never reached the 30 total that would have meant they would serve as a Unit on the Eastern Front. IIRC at their peak there were only 27.

There is no mention of any being in the Luftwaffe or flying anywhere that I could find.

Those later returned to the UK after the war were delt with and immprisoned.

Anyone know more about these Flyers ?

Alex
Old 8th October 2005, 21:02
Alter Hase

Hi Alex

In his 1978 book CANADIANS IN THE RAF, Canadian author Les Allison tells of six Allied fighter pilot POWs - two Canadians, two British and two Americans - who allegedly flew for the Luftwaffe on the Eastern Front during 1944/45. Both Brits were killed as was one American, and all supposedly racked up substantial scores. True? Or bullshit?

Brian

PS I was unable to open the sites mentioned by Franz, so am unaware of what has recently been written.
Old 9th October 2005, 12:56
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Defected Allied Pilots?

Hello Brian,

Thanks for the info on the PILOTS, the other sites only give details of the Free Core which looks like it was only ARMY,and one young SAILOR also IIRC one RAF ERK.

Does the book give names of the six men you note ?

Alex
Old 9th October 2005, 21:33
Alter Hase

Hi Alex - that's the $64 million dollar question! No names, only supposed first names - Geoffrey and Morris (the Brits), Carl and Pete (the Americans) and Al (one of the Canadians). The author of the piece (a DFC pilot but unidentified) is alleged to have told the story to the author of the book. I have my reservations. Perhaps some of our Luftwaffe experts would like to comment.

Brian
Old 5th February 2006, 15:37

Franz von Werra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From the other leads given in the thread there seem only to have been at most seven or eight Allied servicemen, British 9 I dont recal American's being mentioned) that went to the eastern front, then only about two or three actually saw the Russians, while assisting News Reporters or such.

They never reached the 30 total that would have meant they would serve as a Unit on the Eastern Front. IIRC at their peak there were only 27.

There is no mention of any being in the Luftwaffe or flying anywhere that I could find.

Those later returned to the UK after the war were delt with and immprisoned.

Anyone know more about these Flyers?
What you report is 99% identical to what I heard about the British Free Corps, mostly composed by English/Aussie/Kiwi nationals who volunteered for the Eastern Front, although they never reached the strength of 30 men required to raise a minimal unit (platoon) to be sent into combat.
The British volunteers did not seem to be willing to fight- instead they tried to prolong their training as long as possible (!) and some of them ended up as cooks or lorry drivers. I don't think there were any airforcemen, except Douglas Berneville-Claye, who'd been booted out of the RAF and later out of the SAS. He ended up in an Italian POW camp and then in a German one, where he was recruited by the BFC.
Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Free_Corps

Last edited by Franz von Werra; 5th February 2006 at 16:09.