Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 29th July 2010, 05:47
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Aircraft of the Third Reich - William Green

A planned three volume set, this is a revised and expanded version of his earlier work. Volume One is expected in September.

http://www.christian-schmidt.com/pro...oducts_id=7428

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 29th July 2010, 14:13

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Aircraft of the Third Reich - William Green

B-ll-cks! I just lashed out last weekend and bought the 1970 edition
Old 30th July 2010, 12:12

Lennart Andersson
Re: Aircraft of the Third Reich - William Green

Hrmmmm, I would check this one out very closely before buying. So many have taken William Green’s fantasies about German aircraft for the truth and the things that he invented have since been reiterated in hundreds or thousands of other books and articles.

He alleges, for example, that the single prototype He 45a was “followed by an initial production contract for the He 45a” and that deliveries of this version began in 1933. In 1932 appeared the He 45b prototype, which joined the He 45a in production in 1933. In 1934 the He 45c was built by Gotha and Focke-Wulf and the He 45d by BFW. This is of course all rubbish.

Has anyone really done all the research necessary to rectify all the mistakes and errors that were published in 1970? I seriously doubt that.

Lennart Andersson
Old 30th July 2010, 15:08
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

I concur with what you've said, Lennart. Take, for example, what Green wrote about the Heinkel He 112 fighter. Almost all is incorrect, Werknummern, sub-type, dates, etc.

When still a 'green' aviation historian (no pun intended), over 20 years ago, I've struggled in trying to understand how data from German sources can possibly differ from the "bible" of the Luftwaffe. Then, gradually I started to realise that not all what Green has written can be taken at face value.

Caveat emptor!
Old 30th July 2010, 15:50
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder does anyone know what sources Green used when doing the book? How extensive an access did he have to German archival records? And especially how different source material did Creek, Smith&Kay have when they did the Putnam book on the topic? Someone might now say that all this would not need be asked had authors/publishers back then used source note apparatus...
Old 30th July 2010, 23:50
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Well then, I think those with some knowledge should contact the publisher.

http://www.aerospacemasterbooks.com/series.asp

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 2nd April 2011, 22:03

weisenb is on a distinguished road

Hello all,
Does anybody own Green's Vol.1 of Aircraft of the Third Reich? I have purchased a copy from Aerospace and I'm totally disapointed. Most photos, profiles and color drawings are much too dark. Compare the Arado Ar 234 full spread with McDonald's. The majority of photos have a brownish tint which makes them appear too dark.
For the modeller a total loss.
For the price of 80 Euros I was expecting better quality.
I know there are other publishers having released the same book. Could anybody confirm if their releases are of the same -or better- quality?
Thank you,
Richard Weisenberger
weisenb@t-online.de
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:58
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, let's give William Green a little slack here. For those of us who are "old" Luftwaffe'o'philes, he was "the man" back in the late 50s and 60s. His original Aircraft of the Third Reich was ground breaking. 99% of us in the West did not have access to then still classified British and NARA documents, much less the eventual GQm and VLM records that were "discovered".

Green worked from what public records were available in private collections, RAF intelligence, USAF intelligence, etc., as well as German a/c maker records. He did not go deep, and, for example, many good records were grossly mis-catalogued in USAF and NARA record indexes. If you did not go deep, you did things like say there was a Bf 109G-16. etc. On paper there was.

Today is not then and the learning curve is substantially different. Green did good, but he's outdated
Old 6th April 2011, 16:39
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought an Ex-library copy and it occupies a space on my bookshelf. Think I paid $5.
Poor shape but well worth the money
Old 6th April 2011, 20:09
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beaman View Post
[font=Arial][size=3]Green did good, but he's outdated
As all our efforts may be some day. Green's books were readily available in mainstream shops and so very important in exciting my interest when I was a kid, and I'm sure that's true for lots of people.