Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 25th September 2014, 19:01

whatfore1 is on a distinguished road
Fortress MK.I Combat Log: Bomber Command High Altitude Bombing Operations, July - September 1941

Operational and combat operations of the RAF’s Boeing Fortress MK.I (B-17C) long-range bombers which conducted a high altitude daylight bombing campaign over North West Europe and Norway during July, August and September 1941. Covers Bomber Commands operational situation leading up to summer 1941 and details the early model Boeing B-17’s including the B-17C, 20 of which were transferred to the RAF as Fortress MK.I bombers. The formation of No.90 Squadron RAF and the training and preparations for operations, including the transfer of USAAC ground and air crew which continued to operate with 90 Squadron throughout the bombing campaign. Although no USAAC personnel flew operational missions, the Corp suffered one of the Squadrons earliest casualties in a non-operational Fortress loss, and a gentleman from the American Sperry Bomb Sight Company flew one operational mission as bomb aimer. The bombing campaign is described in detail with every operational sortie detailed, including targets, aircraft flown, weapons dropped, aircrew, and combats with German fighters; a number of Fortress I’s being shot down. The volume is copiously supported by a wealth of operational documents including Squadron Narratives and Squadron and Group Combat Reports, many of which are reproduced verbatim. Operational documents have been tied up against German records

http://www.amazon.com/Fortress-MK-I-...660666&sr=1-21
Old 5th October 2014, 21:50

FrancisM is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortress MK.I Combat Log: Bomber Command High Altitude Bombing Operations, July - September 1941

I found no new information in this book at all. The contents claims there are details of combats with Bf 109s but there isn't a single name of a German pilot.
The text simply uses documents available in the UK Natinal Archives.
Not worth buying in my opinion.
Frank