Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 21st October 2005, 07:16

NickM
A question RE: Shore's 'Air War for Burma'

Hi guys:

First, I need to ask if this volume is a 'sequel' of sorts to the 'Bloody Shambles' series of books? Also, since the title of this book mentions Southeast Asia, does it include the research that Shores did in regards to the Spitfire Ops over Darwin in 1942-42?

thanks again!

NickM
Old 21st October 2005, 12:11
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: A question RE: Shore's 'Air War for Burma'

Yes to the first, no to the second.
Old 21st October 2005, 12:21

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road

If it's detail on Spitfire Ops in Northern Australia you are after then get your hands on 'Spitfires Over Darwin 1943' by Jim Grant. ISBN 0 646 23632 6.

Excellent book, marvellous photo's and rich in detail based on personal interviews, diaries and documents from the Australian War Museum. And the bonus is that Grant served with No.1 Fighter Wing during that period, as ground crew.

You won't find a more accurate (explodes many myths) and fascinating book on the subject.
Old 21st October 2005, 15:36
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Jim, does mr. Grant´s book have the personal accounts as is, i.e. e.g. like in Cull´s Buffaloes over Singapore?
Old 22nd October 2005, 01:31

There are quite a few, which (I think) always makes for rivetting reading. Most take the form of personal accounts drawn from entries in diaries and letters to loved ones, less so from face to face interviews. Sadly not many veterens were alive when Grant first wrote the book in 1995.

The table of contents is as follows.

Forward
Location map, northern Australia
Map of North-western area
Background
The first four weeks
Raid 52: the Wing's First
Raid 53: The First Full Wing 'Op'
Raid 54: A Severe Reverse
Winter Comes - And Goes: The Millingimbi Raids
Raids 55, 56 & 57: We Earn Our Keep
Raid 58: The Dry
Raids 59 ,60 & 61: The 'Dry' Continues
Rais 62, 63 & 64: The Last
Epilogue
Appendix 1: Pranged By The Bloody Navy (W. Hardwick)
Appendix 2: A Bad Case Of Murply's Law (R. Williams)
Appendix 3: Fiery Exit (C. Duncan)
Appendix 4: Spitfire Mk.V Crashes In North-western Area
Honour Roll
Aircraft Losses/Claims By No. 1 Fighter Wing 1943
Index
Glossary Of Terms
Bibliography

Plus 54 excellent photo's.
Old 25th October 2005, 23:34

George Hopp

The contents of Grant's book looks really great, but it appears to only cover 1943. Is there anything on attacks on Australia in 1942?
Old 26th October 2005, 16:05

There are books that deal with the early Japanese attacks on Darwin in 1942 - but the Spitfires did not operate at that time. They only started in 1943.

In 1942 the defence of Darwin was in the hands on the USAAF. The 49th Fighter group was given the responsibility of that role, being equipped with the venerable P-40. An excellent book covering this period is "Protect and Avenge, The 49th Fighter Group In WWII', by S.W. Ferguson. Brilliant detail with superb photographs (and lots of 'em).
Old 7th December 2005, 00:22
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

I was co-author of 'Bloody Shambles' Volume 1 and 2 but was not involved in 'Air War for Burma' (I didn't know it was being written! I wasn't invited to the party!) Nonetheless, it's worth a place on the bookshelf as a work of reference rather than an in depth account of air operations; unfortunately here are very few first-hand accounts. Regarding air operations over Northern Australia, I would like to advise those interested that Dennis Newton and I are currently working on 'Fighters over Darwin' 1942-45, which should hopefully be published by Grub Street in 2007. Apologies for the long wait. And yes, it will include first-hand accounts.

Cheers
Brian
Old 7th December 2005, 04:35

NickM

Brian:

Cool, Dude...another of your works to add to my bookshelf!

NickM
Old 7th December 2005, 12:01
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Nick and others

The last time I was called a Cool Dude was by my little granddaughter! But thanks anyway! Just one point - as an air historian/writer with 20+ books to my credit - I believe that bods like me who write about times before we were born and have no experience of being in the armed services, let alone a pilot - should be chroniclers of events that occurred and not judge and jury. That's just my opinion but one I have always observed. The reason I mention this is that American historian/author Dan Ford was highly critical of my 'Buffaloes over Singapore' because it was full of first-hand accounts (gathered over many years of painstaking research and dedication to seeking the truth) - and did not contain my personal opinions and cionclusions. I didn't respond to him at the time - but should he read this - hard cheese! I will continue my style and he can continue his! Fair dues! Here endeth the sermon. You may or may not agree with me - perhaps you'll let me know. I can take criticism (I hope!!)

Cheers
Brian