Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st January 2014, 19:32

Rich.black is on a distinguished road
New to Researching

Hello all

I am new to researching. I am looking into my grandfather, Richard Field DFM, who operated as A/G and wireless operator in coastal command, between 1939-1943.

Can anyone give me any tips or good ideas on where/how to start? I already have his logbook and service records. Is Kew the best place to be searching?

Many thanks in advance
Old 21st January 2014, 22:04
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: New to Researching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.black View Post
I already have his logbook and service records. Is Kew the best place to be searching?

Many thanks in advance
Kew's the place I know best but other people here may have more suggestions. You have an excellent start in knowing your grandfather's squadron and the dates of his service.

Have a look at their online guide and the catalogue search facility. Squadron Operations Record Books are in the AIR27 file series. The ORB is arranged month-by-month in two sections, a general narrative of promotions, official visits and postings, then details of operations flown. This section will normally list each day's flights, their times and crew members in each machine; the right hand column will describe any incidents. Also look at the appendices to the ORB (not always on the same microfilm reel) as there may be reports from crews on any encounters with the enemy.

If you search the catalogue you may find some downloadable material. If you visit Kew you need to take proof of i/d to register as a reader. All this is explained on their website.
Old 21st January 2014, 22:50

Rich.black is on a distinguished road

Thanks Nick
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:39

Hans Nauta

Hello Richard,

Perhaps I can help you further. I've listed him as being with 206 Squadron while flying on Hudsons during 1940. Am I correct?

Please contact me at hnauta AT quicknet DOT nl. Please replace AT and DOT with the obvious symbols.

Kind regards,
Hans