Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2008, 15:02
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Book on French AF 1939-40?

I thought that it was clear. Zumbach wrote that only one French fighter pilot from Etampes actually engaged enemy. The remaining chose the safer option. By crappy aircraft I mean that the Poles received faulty, badly serviced ones.
I agree about disobeying orders. Unfortunately, Polish commander had no position to shot French.
BTW
Prove that the Polish losses were extremely high.
Old 8th August 2008, 16:47
Grozibou

Correcting a small error

I wrote the following myself in my preceding post :

27 out of 111 Czech pilots served with Curtiss-equipped units, and this with great distinction. Several of them became great aces, the best of all being Frantisek Perina (GC I/5, 1re escadrille led by Cne Accart), who won 11 "certain" and 2 "probable" victories, alone or shared ones. Vasatko (GC I/5) won 12 + 2 victories and was one of the top aces of the Armée de l’Air.

Arguably the best of all was Vasatko not Perina for Vasatko won one more "certain" victory. Sorry!

WHAT? I am not unfallible (Vasatko)? This is an incredible historical discovery!

But the quality of a fighter pilot is not to be found in the number of his victories only. There are other important factors, like protecting their comrades and conversely, choosing good tactics etc. (I am not claiming that Vasatko didn't have these qualities but I think he did have them). Besides, Vasatko, too, was a member of 1st escadrille of GC I/5, together with many other top-ranking aces : CO Cne Acart, Lt Marin-la-Meslée, Sgt Morel, Perina, Vasatko, Rouquette, Muselli, Vuillemain, Penzini, Rey. Most of these pilots were GREAT aces (9-20 victories each). Simply flabbergasting. It seems that wizard Accart was able to make an ace out of any pilot under his command. Think that he had trained several others who then went to other units, including Ace N° 2 : Adjt. Camille Plubeau.

Last edited by Grozibou; 8th August 2008 at 17:47.
Old 8th August 2008, 18:18
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: Book on French AF 1939-40?

Looks like one of my co-moderators unlocked the thread.

Hopefully we can keep it going in a constructive manner, or I will lock it permanently.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Closed Thread