Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 19th May 2011, 22:12

Santiago is on a distinguished road
Claims for VC94 16 April 1945

Hello
Does anybody has the complete claims submitted by the pilots of VC94 off the CVE-84 Shamerock Bay, FM-2 Wildcats were involved in the defense of the USS Laffey on 16 April 1945. So far one of the pilots Carl J.Rieman submitted claims for 2 Vals and 1 Val he did not, since it was finnish off by a Vought Corsair.He mentions that his wingman Richard Collier claimed another Val DB. So Iam missing claims for the following pilots Jocko Dean and Johnny Hocza.

Any help would be appreciated

Santiago A. Flores
Old 16th June 2011, 22:10
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Claims for VC94 16 April 1945

Santiago

As per Frank Olynyk's excellent victory list 9, VC-94 made 4 claims at 09.20H, all 40 miles north west of Okinawa

Ens. Richard Alan Collier - Kate
Lt (jg) Carl Joseph Rieman - Val
Lt (jg) John Hocza - Val
Ens. Jack Orr Dean - Val

No double claims by anyone listed. There is nothing obvious which would fit the Corsair "stealing" any victory away either.

I cannot say if the list published by Frank are all CLAIMS by the pilots or if it actually is CLAIMS ACCEPTED by the Navy. Before getting this list I did not know that the US Navy has never issued any official claim list, so exactly what lines Frank has used here I cannot say. Just amazing to make a challenge....

Looks like Frank has not read this post, otherwise I believe he would have answered you. You can look him up and try to send him a personal e-mail

Cheers
Stig
Old 17th June 2011, 06:15
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Stig,
Actually it is Victory List #2. #9 is USAS/USN/USMC in WW1.

The confusion may be because Rieman has an additional claim, for a Nick, on Jan 8, 1945. VC-94 has a total of 7 claims.

April 16 was a very busy day. The USMC claimed 46 victories, all Corsairs, except for a pair by VMF(N)-542 in F6F-5Ns. The USN claimed 157/4/10 by a mixture of Hellcats and Corsairs (VF-10 was heavily involved that day) and FM-2s. Most of these claims are between 0800 and 1030 for USN and USMC. USAAF made no claims this day in the Pacific.

As far as I know the USN does not have an official verification process (a Victory Credit Board, as per the USAAF/USAF), even today. My USN list is based on the ACA reports prepared at the time, with the claims made as submitted by the pilots, and written up by the ACIO, and then passed up the line to squadron CO, CAG, ship's captain (the numbers went into the ship's action report).

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 18th June 2011, 22:44
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Frank

My appologies, how could I see so wrong? Perhaps I should start using the magnifier after all...

When you say VC-94 had seven claims, should we take this as including unconfirmed claims as well? I have always assumed your lists to be acknowledged claims and not including rejected ones, but since USN never has given any final opinion on what they confirm or not, I guess the term is fluid?

Anyway for those who does not have copies of Frank's lists, tempt him, bribe him or even beg him, they are worth every nickel and dime you have!

Thanks Frank
Cheers
Stig