Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th June 2019, 18:04

SteveR is on a distinguished road
9 April 1940: S/L George Peacock, No. 9 Squadron

I'll try to keep this short...

In Shores' Fledgling Eagles it is stated that on 9 April 1940 a Wellington on No. 9 Squadron, returning from an operation to Norway, shot down a Do-18 of 3/406, the crew of which perished, without giving any details of the combat.

In Gordon Thorburn's Bomber Command 1939-1940 the author states that the victorious Wellington was that of S/L George Peacock and that Peacock was awarded the D.F.C. for it.

There's nothing about it in Thorburn's Bombers First and Last or in Mason's 9 Squadron.

I went to the National Archives website to try to find more info. Searching the Air 50 files for a combat report yielded nothing. Searching Air 27 I found confirmation of the D.F.C award but nothing about the combat - not in the ORB or any of the 500+ pages of Appendices.

Questions:

Have I missed something in the NA? Can anyone suggest search terms that might help me find something there? Does a combat report for this encounter exist?

Does anyone have any more details of this combat from the RAF perspective (the commander of the Do-18 is given in Shores; since the crew perished I figure there's not much to be had from the Luftwaffe perspective)?

Thanks in advance for any help!