Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th March 2005, 04:39

Arvo L. V.
1st Latvian Night Bombing Aviation Regiment of the V-VS

Esteemed forum members;

I am trying to locate some more exacting data (plus photogrpahs, if possible) re the „1. Latviešu Nakts Bumbvedēju Aviācijas Pulku” (1st Latvian Night Bombing Aviation Regiment) of the Soviet V-VS. This unit, comprised of three squadrons, was apparently established in 1943 and was equipped with Polikarpov Po-2 aircraft. One of my goals is to be able to renders some color art work on these „Latvian” machines.

I would be most appreciative of any assistance efforts, which may be rendered on my behalf.

Thank you kindly in advance. Regards;

Arvo L. V.

Old 26th March 2005, 14:05

Christer Bergström is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st Latvian Night Bombing Aviation Regiment of the V-VS

Sorry, I have no photos, only this info:

1 Latvian NBAP, commanded by Mayor Karl Kirsch, was part of 313 NBAD from January 1944. On 9 August 1944 it received the honorary title "Rezhitskogo" for its successful contribution to the battles of Daugava and Rezekne.

Christer Bergström

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/
Old 26th March 2005, 15:04

Carl-Fredrik Geust
Re: 1st Latvian Night Bombing Aviation Regiment of the V-VS

Arvo,

you should try to find the book “Latyshkiy aviatsionnyj polk” by D.Ya.Zil´manovich and P.Ye.El´vikh (Liesma, Riga 1975). This book (which probably also was published in Latvian) is a very detailed history of 1st Latvian NBAP, and really one of the best Soviet-time aviation regiment histories (despite the inevitable propaganda style). There are a number of photos of regiment personnel in front of Po-2s – unfortunately no full aircraft views, nor any special camo/insignia visible.

In the two-volume anthology of Latvian units in the Red Army “Na pravyj boj, na smertnyj boj” (Liesma, Riga, 1972), Vol.2 contains also a brief history of the regiment: Nikolaj Vulf: “V nebe rodiny” (pp. 102-118).

On 22 August 1944 Vulf (flight leader) and El´vich (navigator of the same flight) performed a daring mission with a captured Go 145 over German held territory, dropping a letter from Feldmarschall Paulus to the Commander of HG Nord F.Schörner, urging to latter to capiltulate. (This mission was briefly described in my books “Under the Red Star” and “Red Stars Vol.2”)

Carl
Old 26th March 2005, 20:56

Arvo L. V.
Carl-Fredrik and Christer - Thank you!

Esteemed Carl-Fredrik and Christer;

Thank you very much for you clarifications. I have some Latvian materials here, but they only show photographs of a few unit/squadron commanders supplemented by a short bio on them. I need to get a hold of the Latvian books (smile).....

Again, many thanks for your help. I am most appreciative of same.

Regards;

Arvo