Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st August 2016, 23:15

Mathsmal is on a distinguished road
Richard Growe - KIA 31.8.1940 off Foreness, Thanet

I wonder if anyone can help with this question?

I found a A.I.1.(k) record that indicates Uffz Richard Growe, a W/T in a Me 110 with V(Zerstorer)/LG1, was killed during an attack by Spitfires, the plane being landed at sea off Foreness, Thanet by the pilot (Lt Karl Joachim Eichhorn) on 31 August 1940. The pilot survived, escaping to a rubber dingy and was captured unwounded.

Uffz Growe was recorded as killed, and is now listed on the VDK site as buried as unknown at Cannock Chase - http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche...d966dd8e25c263

Looking at the dates of unknown graves at Cannock, I can find no corresponding burial. Does anyone have any other information that could shed light on this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st September 2016, 07:49
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Richard Growe - KIA 31.8.1940 off Foreness, Thanet

Having been in touch with Jochen Eichhorn, as far as both of us were aware, he was missing having gone down with the aircraft. However no doubt Peter Cornwell will comment on this on his return from foreign parts
Old 1st September 2016, 23:18
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

The root cause of this puzzle lies with the VdK....they list several dead as "Unter den Unbekannten" or under the unknowns for several different war cemeteries. This was done under numerous instances, but is not always really the truth...

Sometimes indeed there was documentary proof that somebody was buried somewhere else initially (field grave or community cemetery) but during transfer to a war cemetery could not be positively identified. However, there are also hundreds of cases where there is proof the victim did not survive (for instance other pilot saw a/c crash and pilot did not leave a/c) and that they simply list the closest war cemetery as likely candidate.

I have numerous pilots in the NL which are listed as "Unter den Unbekannten" for Ysselsteyn while there is no shred of evidence (at the VdK or WASt) they were ever buried there or were found at all. All that is sure they were killed in the crash.

I also noted the english translation on the VDK Datenbank site is even more positive then the actual German text....

Bottom line....if there is a statement "Unter den Unbekannten" in the VDK Datenbank it has no value at all....

Regards,

John

Last edited by John Manrho; 2nd September 2016 at 09:34. Reason: Typo and addition
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:20

Mathsmal is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies.

John - I agree with your comments, however this is the first case I've found (so far) where a burial is recorded in this way at Cannock Chase. I presume there may be others which I haven't come across yet. I will keep on investigating to see what I can find.

Looking at the list of original burial places, prior to concentration at Cannock, I can find no 'Unknown' burial in the area of north Kent for that period, so it is a mystery why the VDK has listed it in this way.
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:28

Joe Potter

Gentlemen,
Perhaps if you would like to contact Frau Beate Kalbhenn at the VDK, she may be able to provide a bit of information on how they have come to this conclusion.
I have her direct dial number, and e-mail address, should you need it.
I'm incommunicado personally, for going over her head to the WASt.