Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th March 2006, 14:00
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Belgian Hurricane's

Hi,

I expect that these question's have been delt with on this site before, but to refresh the subject...

What became of the 20 plus hawker hurricane aircraft of the belgian AF ?

Some 20 were said to have been delivered , but only 15 entered service.

What became of the 5 that were not delivered ?

What were their serials ?

Originally H-1 to H-20, became H-20 to H-34, then interned were H-35 , H-37, H-38 and H-39. And Known Belgian built H-42 and 43.

What of H-36, 40 and 41 ?

Thanks

Alex
Old 10th March 2006, 15:59

kolya1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Belgian Hurricane's

I think that there were something like 11 operationnal Hurricanes in Belgium at the time of the erman attack on the 10th May 1940, and that about 9 of these were severely damaged or destroyed in a german air attack on the Belgian airfield of Diest-Schafen on this very first day (while the British and the French were already at war with Germany, this was not yet the case for Belgium, and however likely it may have seemed, Belgium was somewhat surprised by the suddenness of the german attack...).

I think the survivors were engaged in combat afterwards, but AFAIK the didn't score any victories and were quickly put out of action...

Thus, Belgian fighter activity in 1940 was generally limited to Gladiators and FIAT CR-42s...

Kolya.
Old 10th March 2006, 16:02
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

They have also use one landed RAF machine. Look at the book Hurricane published by SAM Bedford, there is much of details
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758
Old 10th March 2006, 19:51

Leon

Serials of Hurries which were to be delivered to Belgium:
L 1993-97
L 2040-44
L 2105-11
L 1918-20
Propably only 15 were delivered.
RAF landed machines:
L 1619, L 1628, L 1813, N 2361 - later their markings were H-35, H-37, H-38, H-39
By M. Wawrzynski "Hurricane in foreign service" AJaKS 2000
Maybe the author could add some more info.
Old 13th March 2006, 10:28

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Yes subject had been almost smashed some times ago. :-)
BAF got 15, the rest 4 were force landed and "handed over" to BAF as a "supply" from RAF (the 5 not yet delivered by GB).

The next 2 were home made but not included into miliatry inventory. One was on the airfiled but not yet he was taken the inventory of fighter squadron as on 10 V 1940. He stayed single separated form the British-made
Strange numbers - maybe to hidden the real HC numbers, if you put the digits more the 20 you have from the ground "more planes" in the air, almost twice, tree times, the real figure :-)
Big H-37 or H-39 on HC in air means for land spys, there are about 40 HC in BAF not any about 10-15 servicable (other were crashed, shot-down damaged ect!). This is only my private assumption and nothing more.

BTW, the book was edited in 2001 not 2000 (HC in FS) .

Regards
Mirek W
Old 13th March 2006, 17:54
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Yes, From the original numbers of the BAF Hurricane's H-1 to H-20 only 15 were delivered.
What became of the five that were not delivered ?
What were the BAF numbers allotted to them?

I have the 20 RAF serial numbers of these original Hurricanes, and wish to find the five that were not delivered to Belgium.

Then perhaps it can be found what their indevidual fate was.

Alex
Old 13th March 2006, 22:45
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Alex

As far as I know Hawker records 20 aircraft DELIVERED to Belgium all diverted from a RAF contract. What happened to those five never put in service is so far unknown. They did NOT enter RAF service UNLESS of course they returned through some unknown back door and entered RAF service under different serial numbers! Nothin as far as I know indicate this. It has always been assumed that the Belgian Hurricanes received their own serials in RAF serial order simply because the earliest Hurricanes were delivered first and so on. Since one photo exists of a Belgian marked aeroplane before delivery it has been assumed the serials were factory painted in England. (see also further down in my e-mail). As far as I know there is however no written proof that Belgian serials matches the former RAF serials in such an order... !!

Of course one of the main problems is that Belgian military records BEFORE WW 2 are very much incomplete and there remains many questions to be answered. At this stage I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the Belgian statement that only 15 Hurricanes entered service. As of course you are aware there are many explanations circulating such as the Belgian Hurricanes never were delivered as 1 - 20 at all but in fact as H15 to H34 (Reason for this is the existance of a photo taken of H19 before delivery) and that no re-serialling took place. Others claim that H19 is a mis-painting and actually was H20.... My own belief is that the British records probably only recorded Belgian Hurricane number one, number two etc, that is a sort of running number and not a serial at all. My own belief is also that Britain DID supply Belgium with 20 Hurricanes. As far as I know there is NO correspondance in Britain anywhere which deals with complaints from any Belgian authority that 5 Hurricanes are missing from their order etc etc. To my mind at least SOME correspondance should remain somewhere if that was the case!! So why the five missing Hurricanes did not enter service with AeM has to be found in Belgium and not in Britain.

However the above clearly shows the unfortunate state Belgian records are to be found. Presumably large quantities of records were hastily destroyed upon the arrival of the Germans so we will probably never get a satisfactory answer to this problem.

One other thing which is interesting is that the FIRST Fairey/SABCA built Hurricane was serialled H42 (H-10042 with tiny digits on the fuselage side)
H43 was also flown before the German onslaught. Feels strange to begin with H42 and not 41? Another anomaly is that the first four interned Hurricanes were serialled H35, H37, H38 and H39. What happened to H36?
Was that a Hurricane that NOT quite made it??

The final impressed Hurricane is reported to be H45. Even more strange since THAT puts it right in the middle of the Fairey/SABCA built batch...
But I guess that was about the last the Belgians were concerned about at that stage, historic logic...

Cheers
Stig