Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th September 2018, 23:35

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Karl Kaulard, I./JG 77

Gentlemen,

I have conflicting Information concerning the fate of a pilot of I./JG 77, Karl Kaulard. According to official loss returns he was shot down and killed in combat on 23 December 1944 in Bf 109G-14, WNr. 512 116. According to the diary of a pilot of 3./JG77 however, Kaulard flew as his wingman in the Bodenplaate attack and was killed only in February 1944 in a low level attack on the Eastern front. Has anybody got reliable Information on the fate of Karl Kaulard ? It would be muh appreciated.

KR

Jochen Prien
Old 24th September 2018, 23:44
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Karl Kaulard, I./JG 77

February 1945 surely?
Old 24th September 2018, 23:52

Chris,

have you got any details ? If so, please let me know.

Best

Jochen
Old 24th September 2018, 23:54

oops, it is February 1945 of course … sorry.

Jochen Prien
Old 25th September 2018, 11:32
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough

Dear Jochen,

Both loss lists I have, compiled independently by Michel Balss and George Morrison, do show Karl Kaulard KIA 23 December 1944 and his plane a write off, source being BA-MA Signatur RL 2 III/1170, p.5, the same source used in your JG 77 opus (Vol. IV, p. 2218)

There are though three photos of a "Gelbe 7" from 3./JG 77 belly landed near Hotton, Belgium, which are supposedly his machine.
One is published in Erik Mombeek LuGa 4, JG 77, p. 92; the two others, proven to show the same plane, were posted on www.usmilitariaforum.com, 21 November 2011.

None does show the W.Nr.; the camouflage pattern points rather towards an Erla built G-14, hence no absolute certitude about "Gelbe 7" being Kaulard's machine, though the plane photographed by GI's was indeed part of 3./JG 77. Another difficulty comes from the clean belly landing "Gelbe 7"'s pilot managed: he certainly walked away from it.

Cheers
Marc
Old 25th September 2018, 12:18

Joerg Dietsche

Gentlemen,

according to the late Günther Schmitz he identified Fhj. Uffz Karl Kaulard and published on AGLG Rheinland Jahresbericht 1999 the crash landed Bf 109G-14, Werknummer 512 116, gelbe 7, at Niederheckenbach and Kaulard was layed to rest at Kesseling/Eifel on 17 Feb 1945. Later transferred to his hometown Hammer near Monschau/Eifel.
Kaulard was sitting in the closed Cockpit. Reason of his death was unclear.

A 15-year old boy found him and informed the respective Ober-Förster Schäfer and Blömer, who recovered the body.

So long

Jörg
Old 25th September 2018, 14:31

Dear Marc and Jörg,

many thanks for your input. Jörg, from your post I come to the conclusion, that missing on 23 December is the correct solution. But who then was the Karl Kaulard in the 3rd Staffel pilot's diary, who took part in the Bodenplatte attack and was killed by flak on the Eastern front ? Mysterious, indeed.

Many thanks again and best

Jochen Prien
Old 25th September 2018, 18:52
Alter Hase

Dear Jochen,

You're most welcome. And sorry, there is no information I know of regarding that other Karl Kaulard...

Dear Joerg,

Thanks for your informations; this does round up well with what the photos show: a largely intact plane. Many thanks !

Cheers
Marc
Old 25th September 2018, 21:28

Dear Marc,

the "yellow 7" you refer to is certainly not Kaulard's a/c and I doubt that it has anything to do with JG 77 at all; in none of the photos I know I can see the unit badge of JG 77 nor a Staffel badge or either of them freshly over-painted nor a white-green fuselage band.

But what is more important: Karl Kaulard was found in the wreck of his "yellow 7" on 2 February 1945 by a German forester and a boy near Kesseling in the Ahrweile district, not by GIs somewhere in Belgium. The frozen body was still in the cockpit when the wreck was found as I have learned today from a link to the Kaulard family history.

KR

Jochen Prien

Old 25th September 2018, 23:58
Alter Hase

Dear Jochen,

Thanks for your precisions; though from 3./JG 77, you are correct about this plane not being Kaulard’s one.

The photo published by Erik Mombeek in his LuGa 4 does show a 3./JG 77 “Gelbe 7” identified by the JG 77 emblem clearly to be seen on the engine cowling still in place atop the engine. A careful comparison with the two other photos mentioned does show the exact same pattern and size for the fuselage camouflage dots. I’m thus confident all three photos do represent a 3./JG 77 machine with the same tactical markings as the plane in which Kaulard was found dead.

This obviously does not solve the issue of the location: the district of the former village Weidenbach near Niederhenckenbach is 150 km away from Hotton http://www.hammer-eifel.de/Hammer-We...g1939-1945.htm and this former area was overrun only after 8 March 1945 by the US 3d Army.

A quick comparison of landscape features to be seen on one of the photos published on www.usmilitariaforum.com helps us out: the relatively flat farmland with a poplar alley and farm buildings seen in the background do absolutely not fit the hills with dense forest surrounding Niderheckenbach. It thus confirms this "Gelbe 7" can't be Kaulard's plane. The three photos we know thus show another "cold case"...

Sincerely
Marc

Last edited by Marc-André Haldimann; 26th September 2018 at 01:15.